Thanks for the help, good week of fishing Thanks for the help, good week of fishing Thanks for the help, good week of fishing Thanks for the help, good week of fishing
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

DUDE! It really doesn't matter way the guy going. I know how dumb it is that some people can't get with the game plan like you want them to, but not everybody gets to go in a straight line to where they want to go. I do sometimes but not ALL the time. These people on here are much smatter then you sound, if you can't play by the rules without complaining maybe you should not post anymore and or just stay Wi. Your kinda insulting!
    F Troop 9th Cav 1st Air Cav

ok just say your running east an turning around to go back west with 5 or 6 boats inline doing the same line 'do you think its ok tocut them off I dont

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Clark View Post
    ok just say your running east an turning around to go back west with 5 or 6 boats inline doing the same line 'do you think its ok tocut them off I dont
    What? You are all turning to go back west? If not speed up, slow down, go in front or behind don't cut them off. Start thinking about your turn way before you decide to and plan your turn, not just because you want to turn NOW. I've been trapped when I wanted to change direction but never been caged to where I could not get out of it. Adapt and over come.

totally agree that's what I try to do

Maybe if everyone did, there would be no more bitching.

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Juls View Post
    Were you crossing in front of him from his port side by chance? If not, he was being a jerk. If so, you were in the wrong. He would have been the stand on vessel, and you were supposed to give way. (Rules of the road).
    I'm not sure if you are asking me or the OP but I will answer in my situation the charter was coming in at an angle on my port side and I still gave way and the more I gave the more he pushed toward us. I should add that I've been boating for over 30 years and do know the rules of the road. It amazes me how many out there do not or are just rude or arrogant.
    Last edited by Eyezcrazy; 05-29-2015 at 10:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eyezcrazy View Post
    I'm not sure if you are asking me or the OP but I will answer in my situation the charter was coming in at an angle on my port side and I still gave way and the more I gave the more he pushed toward us. I should add that I've been boating for over 30 years and do know the rules of the road. It amazes me how many out there do not or are just rude or arrogant.
    I was asking the OP.

Oh, I know what it's like out there, craziness... and, I also give way more than I don't, when it comes to me being the stand on vessel. That's why I usually prefer to go find areas where the majority of the traffic....isn't.

Headed back out again this morning. Supposed to be stormy this afternoon. Good luck everyone!

"Can't we all just get along"? lol
    Captain Julia "Juls" Davis
    [email protected]
    www.julswalleyefishingadventures.com
    https://www.facebook.com/JulsWFA?ref=br_rs
    Specializing in 1-3 person walleye and perch charters

For starters, I am not siding with the OP, nor do I agree with the "I don't care what the rules are" attitude. I tend to fish areas without tons of traffic so it usually doesn't matter so much. However, I do have a question for those who have more experience dealing with this. I only troll down-wind with my electric motor. Going across the waves or into them is usually not a viable option. I am basically drifting, but using the electric to assist the drift. Hypothetically, if I am trolling down-wind, with 2 other boats doing the same to my left, and a big charter boat comes trolling along from our starboard side, going perpendicular to the wind under engine power, all 3 of us are required to give way to the guy going against the grain under power? That doesn't seem right to me. Now I am not going to troll over him or get in a fight over it, I would probably pull in my lines and go somewhere else. However, it seems to me that guys who are "trolling" down-wind under electric power only, should be classified in a similar way to those who are purely drifting. In other words, pleasure boats should give way to fisherman under engine power; who should give way to those under electric power only; who should give way to drifters; who should give way to boats that are anchored. That seems like the logical heirarchy to me. The rules may not agree, but maybe the rules need to be modified to the reality of today's situation. When they were created, the category that I would fall into didn't exist. Just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by slimshady View Post
    For starters, I am not siding with the OP, nor do I agree with the "I don't care what the rules are" attitude. I tend to fish areas without tons of traffic so it usually doesn't matter so much. However, I do have a question for those who have more experience dealing with this. I only troll down-wind with my electric motor. Going across the waves or into them is usually not a viable option. I am basically drifting, but using the electric to assist the drift. Hypothetically, if I am trolling down-wind, with 2 other boats doing the same to my left, and a big charter boat comes trolling along from our starboard side, going perpendicular to the wind under engine power, all 3 of us are required to give way to the guy going against the grain under power? That doesn't seem right to me. Now I am not going to troll over him or get in a fight over it, I would probably pull in my lines and go somewhere else. However, it seems to me that guys who are "trolling" down-wind under electric power only, should be classified in a similar way to those who are purely drifting. In other words, pleasure boats should give way to fisherman under engine power; who should give way to those under electric power only; who should give way to drifters; who should give way to boats that are anchored. That seems like the logical heirarchy to me. The rules may not agree, but maybe the rules need to be modified to the reality of today's situation. When they were created, the category that I would fall into didn't exist. Just my opinion.
    You didn't say if you were "drifting with the assist of the TM" and pulling boards, or casting. If you're casting, then you are a "drifter". If you're pulling boards, you're trolling, and moving fast enough to maneuver.

Here's my take on it:

Everyone must avoid an anchored boat...even sail boats.

Those under power, and moving (whether using electric or engine), must avoid drifters, because their engines are off and cannot move. Those under power must also adhere to the rules of the road whenever possible.

Pleasure boaters who are on plane and running through fishing packs must avoid all of us.

Those annoying sail boats need only avoid anchored boats when under sail. But, hopefully, they would also avoid drifters too, but good luck with that. When under power by engine they must adhere to the same rules of the road as the rest of us.

Oh, and don't get in a ferry lane and expect them to move for you. That's just not a smart practice.

It's best just to be the courteous one when you can see someone is being a jerk.

Like you, I also leave the packs and go find my own fish, so I don't have to deal with it. Then, when they start piling in on me again....I go find another spot.

It's best just to take the high road....you'll live a longer healthier life.
    Captain Julia "Juls" Davis
    [email protected]
    www.julswalleyefishingadventures.com
    https://www.facebook.com/JulsWFA?ref=br_rs
    Specializing in 1-3 person walleye and perch charters

The good thing about lake erie is that 99.9% of the guys out there are courtious towards other fisherman regardless of what the rule book says. The guys who are causing the problems are the ones who will let what the rule book says trump common sense and courtesy. I had a run in with one of those guys a few weeks ago. The big thing is keep a cool head and don't let them get under your skin.