Pictures of different worm harnesses Pictures of different worm harnesses Pictures of different worm harnesses Pictures of different worm harnesses
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by Frank View Post
    Since the subject is on harnesses are there any special -hot color blades I should have in my arsenal? .all replies will be gracefully excepted! Also where they might be purchased THANKS UP FRONT!
    I don't know about hot colors but plain Gold, Pretty Panties, Pink Panties gold back, Purple Parrot copper back, Red Huckleberry copper back and Anti-Perch or any of the anti freeze color combination to name a few. I personally like Baitfish-Image Colorado blades in Rainbow and Golden Shiner from Northland Tackle in size 6 for trolling and size 2 for mayfly rigs. Blade colors will drive you crazy if you let them!
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

Thanks for your input! Sounds like I have the bases covered except for copper back, got spoons with copper.

Hot blade color? You are pretty lucky if one blade is "hot" for 2 weeks, usually less than that. Color trends would be more in line. Purple, pink, chartreuse etc early season with copper backs. As summer warm waters, silver backs with watermelon colors on the face, and trout colors and green shades. This is just my findings over time. But, as weather storms/wind change the lake water color and move the fish regularly. You can almost count on the "hot" color of yesterday to be different. This is just the one box I allow myself to carry on the boat.

As far as using treble hooks as the rear hook of a harness, for me those just make it harder to take off the bait stealers and get tangled in the net. A few times/days over the years, it helped. But when/if there is a day I think I need them, I just add a sliding loop stinger hook on the back.

I prefer to use drop shot hooks #1 and #2. I find them to be stronger, hook up the fish better, have a larger bend in the hook, do not get dull as fast as the snell hooks sold and the eyelets are slightly larger making it easier to rig. As you can see from my assortment in the first pic, most of those hooks are the ones I don't like to use any more. I have to hunt for the drop shot hooks. If you look, you can see the difference in these spoon harnesses I make. The colored hooks are typical high end snell hooks, the black ones are the drop shot hooks. This is my findings.

On a side note: The Domak bead pkgs in the top photo. I won't be purchasing those any more. Both pkgs of beads, there is flashing left on most of the beads at one of the hole ends making them useless unless you want to clean each one up. I don't know if that is how all of there beads are, but both pkgs I purchased have the same problem.
    Last edited by ebijack; 05-16-2016 at 04:27 AM.
    I can only hope I have earned the freedom that has been given me.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank View Post
    Thanks for your input! Sounds like I have the bases covered except for copper back, got spoons with copper.
    This link was supposed to be included in my last reply but my brain was suffering from old fart syndrome and I inadvertently left it out. Here are the Northland Tackle Colorado blades that I like. The colors I use are Rainbow and Golden Shiner in #6 and are 2 of my favorites when I run Colorado's. Bass Pro used to sell hatchet blades in color patterns very similar to these and the BPS hatchets are my go to blades, luckily I bought several packages of these blades when they put them on clearance several years ago as they are now discontinued.

http://shop.northlandtackle.com/seas...lorado-blades/
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

Thanks, ebijack ,an wakina , I know things change from day to day or hour by hour, cloud cover,sunshine etc. Just trying to get input from you guys an girls, I'm like a sponge when it comes to learning from someone .I know there is no perfect lure,they all have their time and place, I do hear,pink panties,antifreeze,copper back,watermelon alot though. Ebijack on your spoon rigs, I see you have beads between the hooks do they serve a purpose other than being a attractor? And what is the average speed you troll those,

As I look at pictures of differant Warnes and blades, seems like most with willow blades run 2 blades, but most with colorado only run a single blade. Is there a reason for this, does running 2 colorado blades tend to hinder peformance,

As far as hooking up the worm, I saw several options, most hook near the head. Then rehook part way down, but a couple were only head hooking and letting the worm trail......any preferances?,??

I see most ppl are using 2 hooks. With the fish coming from behind and under, would you not want a 3rd hook close to the end to increase chance of hooking up?

My spoon harnesses I use beads between the 2 hooks because. Over the years, I have tried many combinations, beads infront of the spoon, behind the spoon, infront of the hooks, small spinner blades in front, behind the spoon etc. Nothing worked any where near as well as the beads between the hooks. Makes a huge difference. A friend told me about this a few years ago. Also getting the front hook as close as possible to the spoon. I run them suspended in the water column. I use regular harnesses for running at/on the bottom. The regular harnesses work better there. But the spoons out produce the regular harnesses big time when run in the water column. About even catch rate when running 1.5 mph+
    As far as speeds, they work best from .6mph on up. When running 2+mph I just don't use a crawler, keep as a regular spoon.
    You can run double willows or single, same with Colorado blades. The dbl Colorado just pull a lot more than dbl willow. If I want to pull meat at higher speeds, 2+mph, I use dbl willow, dbl Colorado will spin out/twist line if the tension on the blades changes/ boat speed/waves etc.

I have tried running short harnesses with the inline weight close to the harness. Results over 1 season were not as good as regular length harnesses so I don't run these any longer.

As far as a 3rd hook, I rarely will add a stinger hook to have a 3 hook harness. PIA and waste of time for me. I go thru the side of the head of the crawler with the first hook. Going thru the top of the head again, PIA and no improvement in catch rates in my experience.
    Last edited by ebijack; 05-17-2016 at 04:44 AM.
    I can only hope I have earned the freedom that has been given me.

Thanks again Ebijack! I'll be heading that way in 2 weeks going to rig up a few of those spoons, I hope they get It in gear. I fish in the river here for eyes, and did well on Saturday considering the eye population ,casting suspending jerkbaits, they where crushing them, in extremely fast water, I don't think there was much difference in the spawn Times this year maybe a week, so the eyes bite should pick up I hope, think I already have the kitchen sink in my boat lol!
    Last edited by Frank; 05-17-2016 at 05:51 AM. Reason: Didn't have morning coffee yet