Perch Fishing Perch Fishing Perch Fishing Perch Fishing
Page 44 of 51 FirstFirst ... 344243444546 ... LastLast

Thread: Perch Fishing

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    Anybody notice these retired guys all post before noon AKA nap time ?
    That's because we don't have to get going so early anymore & our afternoons last long into the night! Has anyone been out for perch yet & do any good? I may go for minnows this week.
    Last edited by lineman49; 03-20-2016 at 09:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by joes spot View Post
    there are 2 types of fishermen the retired ones and the ones that want to be
    Three types, And the ones that sit on the bowl reading about fishing like Bailey

Quote Originally Posted by lineman49 View Post
    That's because we don't have to get going so early anymore & our afternoons last long into the night! Has anyone been out for perch yet & do any good? I may go for minnows this week.
    Lots of minnows around, was out looking today.

Quote Originally Posted by Anchor Wheel View Post
    Lots of minnows around, was out looking today.
    I couldn't fine any(very few) last week. I was at Ontario st. & south end shipping canal. I may check out the sand pile area. Any spots you might want to share?

Everyone seems to agree that fresh, live emerald shiners are the best bait for perch. But what is next? Live goldens? Salted emeralds?

I am asking because I am thinking about salting a small batch of emeralds, given that they were tough to come by last fall. Interested in your opinions....

I think the live goldens would out fish the salted emeralds but when they are on the feed I think they hit anything. I always keep my left over emeralds. I salt them & put them in the freezer. I still have some in the freezer from last fall & I will use them. jmo.

[QUOTE=Alaskan Joe;52256]Everyone seems to agree that fresh, live emerald shiners are the best bait for perch. But what is next? Live goldens? Salted emeralds?

if u know how to salt minnows good...ill take salteds over live goldens everytime

[QUOTE=peas247;52261]
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Joe View Post
    Everyone seems to agree that fresh, live emerald shiners are the best bait for perch. But what is next? Live goldens? Salted emeralds?

if u know how to salt minnows good...ill take salteds over live goldens everytime
    What's the secret to salting them good? Thanks.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Joe View Post

I am asking because I am thinking about salting a small batch of emeralds, given that they were tough to come by last fall. Interested in your opinions....
    I keep them alive 'til I get home and send my wife out to run a bunch of errands. Strain off the water and put them in a baggy. Sprinkle a few Tablespoons of salt in there and after a few minutes spread them out onto a sheet pan, sprinkle with enough salt to just get a thin layer on them and leave them in the freezer for an hour or two. Bag them again and store in the freezer. When using them, keep on ice. If they thaw out...Do Not Refreeze! They get stinky.

I have been preserving leftover shinners and leeches from fishing trips for years. Take the shinners or leeches and soak in cheap vodka or wintergreen rubbing alcohol, strain and place in ziplock bags and into the freezer until you are going fishing. They stay soft never loosing scales and work sometimes better then the live ones. Leeches if trolling act like if they were alive. Walleye and perch love them.....