Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Crank baits… trolling early season

I use a lot of shad style (Berkley Flicker Shads) baits here in WI on inland lakes. Stick baits, not as often. Before I get into shopping for Husky Jerks or such... anyone have advice on if these have potential? Brand new items I already have, from years ago. For use in early to mid April. I want to be prepared and love trolling, so this will be outside my time enjoying the jig side of it all.

If Reef Runners or Husky Jerks are really that much better… where do you start on sizes?

Storm lures, L to R:
    Thunderstick Jr, like 3.5” long.
    Thunderstick Jr Deep, 3.5”, plus 1” bill.
    Thunderstick Deep, 4.5” plus bill.
    Attached Images Attached Images -img_7212-jpg 
    Last edited by cycleguy; 03-02-2016 at 02:33 PM.

Those are all Storm Thundersticks, not Husky Jerks.

I've always used Rapala DHJ12's and RR800's. The Reef Runners seem to be better in the warmer water. I read a lot about Smithwick Perfect 10's early so I've added a collection of those to the arsenal as well.

[QUOTE=WI Walleye;51730]Those are all Storm Thundersticks, not Husky Jerks.

I know… had Husky Jerks on my mind when typing it.… trying to get feedback on these as well as that size info, thanks for pointing it out so I could fix!

I had only used dhj10's and had no problem with them, but last year I added some of the 12's because of the custom colors available
    over the standard colors in the 10's and I really did not do any better between the two as far as the catch. Maybe it was colors and maybe not. Hell, I been known to make bad choices on the bait a lot lately. I made a purchase of a few Matzuo Kinchou Minnows and
    not a taker for sure. I added the Bandit Deep Walleye this year for maybe a better (bigger catch). Oh, by the way open your wallet
    if the "CUSTOM" colors suite your needs.

Gene

For early season perfect 10s are tough to beat. Blue/silver and lemon lime crush were good last yr early and for the fall bite. They've come out with some good looking stock colors this yr. For fishing in Mar april on erie I'd definetly make sure and have a few P10s in the boat

I used to use only the thundersticks that you listed and still catch fish on them spring trolling. The walleyes did not change their lure taste but just a lot more lure choices. If you add some new lures I would bring your thundersticks too.

Dhj12s Perfect 10s Reef 800s Deep Bandit are the most popular ones. But being in the zone I think is more important than color or lure. Troll slow and up high fish on bottom aren't active we hardly ever fish deeper than 15ft in early spring.

Thanks all….

Regardless of brand then, it seems even in the Spring, the larger 4.5-5" body baits are preferred here? Like the DHJ12 has a 4.75" body. The help is appreciated, as I've never pulled cranks that large before.

Adjusting speed, depth, and color based on sunlight and such are the factors to work in at the appropriate time.

Quote Originally Posted by Greatwhitehunter View Post
    Dhj12s Perfect 10s Reef 800s Deep Bandit are the most popular ones. But being in the zone I think is more important than color or lure. Troll slow and up high fish on bottom aren't active we hardly ever fish deeper than 15ft in early spring.
    When you say this…. do you mean you are looking for water 15' or less, or running your baits say in the top 10-15' of water at whatever depth? That would explain some of the short leads I see posted. Again, thanks. Love the learning curve, even if I fail later. Applying the thought process will be great.

Quote Originally Posted by cycleguy View Post
    When you say this…. do you mean you are looking for water 15' or less, or running your baits say in the top 10-15' of water at whatever depth? That would explain some of the short leads I see posted. Again, thanks. Love the learning curve, even if I fail later. Applying the thought process will be great.
    Short leads for active fish up high off the reefs in deeper water usually along the Can line on the North end and East side of the firing range. As stated those bottom huggers are negative fish. DDHJ work better at slower speeds and the Reef 800's work better at slightly faster speeds as the water warms up some. I am not a crank bait guy but do know there is a sweet spot in speed that both the DDHJ and Reef 800's work simultaneously. Maybe some crank bait guy will chime in.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip