Predator vs Prey Predator vs Prey Predator vs Prey Predator vs Prey

Default Predator vs Prey

With the several photos I have seen of good sized perch that came out of some of the walleye this year, and what seems to be a very large amount of 15 " walleye, I am wondering how much effect so many walleye will have on the perch population ?
    And with so many really big walleye that was (are) in the western basin, could that be the reason for the low reports of limit catches of perch?

It is a month early for perch to be found in numbers that translate into limit catches of nice fish, especially in the traditional ares they are normally found, B-Can, C-Can, D-Can, G-Can, H-Can, Niagara Reef area and the War Buoy just to name a few of several. If this continues into August then you may be on to something. Perch fishing should just continue to get better and better as the season progresses.

The wife and I caught 21 perch at B-Can on this past Saturday and they were all packed full of mayflies when I cleaned them. Marks were better than fair on the sounder and I think the reason they were not biting was due to the mayflies. We only caught 1 sheephead and no white perch or Bass. The mayflies were hatching during the day as we were fishing but not in the numbers that you would see for the night hatches. What is needed is a good old fashioned Thunder Storm during the dark hours as that always seems to produce a massive hatch of mayflies this time of year, and that will shorten the time they affect the fishing.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

Derald... Interesting... Not questioning you.... but biologically, I wonder what in the heck a dark night and thunderstorm has to do with triggering the mayfly hatching 25 feet down on the bottom of the lake? (course I have always wondered what is about a wind shift that causes fish bite to turn on down that deep too....)

In any case hope we get one and move the hatch along. I am back from family vacation and work obligations and now have some time to do some fishing...

Quote Originally Posted by LEfriend View Post
    Derald... Interesting... Not questioning you.... but biologically, I wonder what in the heck a dark night and thunderstorm has to do with triggering the mayfly hatching 25 feet down on the bottom of the lake? (course I have always wondered what is about a wind shift that causes fish bite to turn on down that deep too....)

In any case hope we get one and move the hatch along. I am back from family vacation and work obligations and now have some time to do some fishing...

Steve:

I really cannot answer that with a scientific answer but it does cause big hatches, maybe some biologist can answer that. Maybe you could ask your retired friend from the Stone Lab, maybe he can chime in with some insight.
    Last edited by wakina; 06-20-2016 at 01:14 PM.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

LE, as with many of Mother Natures ways it seems to be that it always starts with "It was a dark and stormy night" stormy could mean a windy or rainy night or just with just barometric change. Who really knows. Me, when it comes to fishing I watch my dog.
    When willing to go on the boat she is ready (usually a good day) if she says no way and stays at the camper (lousy day). LOL

Gene

Quote Originally Posted by BtweenShots View Post
    LE, as with many of Mother Natures ways it seems to be that it always starts with "It was a dark and stormy night" stormy could mean a windy or rainy night or just with just barometric change. Who really knows. Me, when it comes to fishing I watch my dog.
    When willing to go on the boat she is ready (usually a good day) if she says no way and stays at the camper (lousy day). LOL

Gene
    Gene;
    Sounds logical to me, Let me know when your dog wants to go fishing, ill go to.
    Dennis