Blind squirrel senario Blind squirrel senario Blind squirrel senario Blind squirrel senario
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Blind squirrel senario

After a 3 hour motor trip from Warren we launched at Catawba S.P. at 10:00 AM. Never have we seen more echoes on the sonar screen than we did just north of Mouse Island as we trolled for over two hours without a single bite. Leaving Mouse we headed north to the shipping channel and set a course for the SW.at 1.8 to 2.2 mph. We used 3 different presentations (Long lines back 100' to 200')(Dipseys back 30' to 60') ( Downriggers up and down.) The lures that caught fish tho few and far between were: 2 on Bandits, one each on DDRR, P-10, Shallow jointed redhead Bomber, and 2 small HotnTots, #182 and Gold with red bill. The end result was 7 nice keepers, including a 9 lb 2 oz postspawn female measuring 27 1/2 in. Call me old school but all prespawn females are quickly returned to the water after a photo if worthy.
    As I see it, if yesterday is any example, to catch walleye all you have to do is throw enough different lures of different colors and shapes far enough and often enough in as many areas as time permits and they will come. It may not be a bad idea to bring a blind squirrel along thinking if he can find a nut, how hard would it be to find the walleye?
    I heard this the other day and I would like to share it with you: FISHING is an exercise in patience. Amen!!!

Good job Dr. Ya sometimes marks are so good you would think you might snag one lol. Thanks for posting.

I was out north of mouse by myself last wed, fog was super thick. Marks were the same way, couldn't believe I didn't snag something. I must had had a 1/4 mile my picture of marks like this and they continued. I finial picked an nice 8.5 lb 28 inches up just about right overy that little hump marked 25ft in the picture as I worked my way towards starve island. Only had a couple hrs hrs and with the heavy fog I pulled gear early to not have to rush the trip back in.

I checked my books from last year I had noted similar great marks in similar location with similar results.........not sure if these are post spawn fish just recovering. Sure wish I had had a camera to drop down and even make sure they are walleye
    Attached Images Attached Images Blind squirrel senario-20180425_090246-jpg Blind squirrel senario-20180425_090151-jpg 
    First mate for Eyehunter Charters

Eyehunter Charters
    614-327-7144
    http://www.eyehuntercharters.com
    http://www.facebook.com/EyehunterCharters

Reside in Columbus, OH. Have place in Perrysburg, OH.

This is precisely why I'm doing an underwater "trail cam" project this year in western Lake Erie. I'm sure there are real experienced anglers who have seen this and know (or think they know) what's going on. The only way to truly know is to either put trap nets out (research or commercial) or put a video camera down there. A video camera is a lot less expensive and time consuming. If anyone reading this would like to help me out, send me a private message or if you are not a member call me at six one four five seven eight zero three four three. The idea is to set cameras, go fishing, then come back in an hour or so (camera battery life) and retrieve the cameras.

West

I have seen this many times before and same results. I believe they are catfish.

Those marks have been like that since April 1st. I tried everything to get them to bite including a nightcrawler on a plain hook straight down.

Years ago when the underwater video cameras first came out we took one to Lake Ontario.

We fished out of Olcott and in the spring the fish finder would light up in the creek heading out the break walls. You kind of wondered if the fish finder was “lying”...

We stopped and let the camera down in the water and every species of fish you ever thought of was down there.... it was amazing...

Did you see any burbot?
    F Troop 9th Cav 1st Air Cav

Don’t remember seeing any. If I remember correctly it was late April or early May and we were fishing for Browns. The pier heads were packed with people... can’t imagine how they weren’t snagging fish there were so many...

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Ed View Post
    After a 3 hour motor trip from Warren we launched at Catawba S.P. at 10:00 AM. Never have we seen more echoes on the sonar screen than we did just north of Mouse Island as we trolled for over two hours without a single bite. Leaving Mouse we headed north to the shipping channel and set a course for the SW.at 1.8 to 2.2 mph. We used 3 different presentations (Long lines back 100' to 200')(Dipseys back 30' to 60') ( Downriggers up and down.) The lures that caught fish tho few and far between were: 2 on Bandits, one each on DDRR, P-10, Shallow jointed redhead Bomber, and 2 small HotnTots, #182 and Gold with red bill. The end result was 7 nice keepers, including a 9 lb 2 oz postspawn female measuring 27 1/2 in. Call me old school but all prespawn females are quickly returned to the water after a photo if worthy.
    As I see it, if yesterday is any example, to catch walleye all you have to do is throw enough different lures of different colors and shapes far enough and often enough in as many areas as time permits and they will come. It may not be a bad idea to bring a blind squirrel along thinking if he can find a nut, how hard would it be to find the walleye?
    I heard this the other day and I would like to share it with you: FISHING is an exercise in patience. Amen!!!
    DR ED

Great job on the release Need a lot more 'Old School'
    Thanks for the report always nice to hear others experiences.