walleye and perch limits 2017 increase! walleye and perch limits 2017 increase! walleye and perch limits 2017 increase! walleye and perch limits 2017 increase!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Tangled Lines View Post
    I have not read the law myself, but what I have seen on other sites, posted by knowledgeable individuals, is that the rod and reel bag limit ceiling is cast in stone (or at least by law). It can be lowered, but it cannot by raised unless the actual law is changed. Thus, it will stay at 6 for walleye (4 in March-April) and 30 for perch.
    Are you the Capt. John who worked radio station WHHH 1440 with me in Warren Oh a few years back? He had a radio show about fishing and I was a frequent guest. His boat was Tangled Lines. Is that you?

No, I previously owned the boat owned by Wakina.

Reside in Columbus, OH. Have place in Perrysburg, OH.

Fisher_i_am – read my previous post below, it tells how ODW estimates the recreational catch on Lake Erie.

Fisheries Management have several options to use to increase or decrease recreational fish species catches, or otherwise manage a fishery, besides daily bag limits. They include establishing open and closed seasons; open and closed sections of the waterway; daily time restrictions (night and day usually); fishing method (artificial or live bait for example); size limits (above 15 inches for example); and slot limits (can’t keep fish between 10 and 15 inches in length), amount others. Even if they can’t raise or lower the creel limit (daily bag), ODW has methods to use to increase or decrease the potential number of walleye caught. Whether or not they use any of these tools depends on the situation in the fishery being managed.

One of the biggest factors in Lake Erie is weather. The more days of bad weather (especially windy), especially on weekends, the lower the potential yearly catch will be simply because there were less hours fished. The ice fishing season also has a significant effect. Three winters ago we had a very long and stable ice fishing season which resulted in a lot more overall fishing on the Lake, increasing the potential total catch. This last winter we had no ice fishing, thus no winter increase in the total hours fished, which will likely reduce the potential total yearly catch.

A lot goes into both the effect on and estimating Lake Erie’s Walleye and other fish species populations. A fishery population in a body of water the size of and as dynamic as Lake Erie is very difficult to predict, or estimate. ODW and their counterparts in the other States and Ontario do a pretty good job, and technology and increased knowledge potentially make their estimates more accurate over time.

Quote Originally Posted by West Basin View Post
    Fisher_i_am – read my previous post below, it tells how ODW estimates the recreational catch on Lake Erie.

Fisheries Management have several options to use to increase or decrease recreational fish species catches, or otherwise manage a fishery, besides daily bag limits. They include establishing open and closed seasons; open and closed sections of the waterway; daily time restrictions (night and day usually); fishing method (artificial or live bait for example); size limits (above 15 inches for example); and slot limits (can’t keep fish between 10 and 15 inches in length), amount others. Even if they can’t raise or lower the creel limit (daily bag), ODW has methods to use to increase or decrease the potential number of walleye caught. Whether or not they use any of these tools depends on the situation in the fishery being managed.

One of the biggest factors in Lake Erie is weather. The more days of bad weather (especially windy), especially on weekends, the lower the potential yearly catch will be simply because there were less hours fished. The ice fishing season also has a significant effect. Three winters ago we had a very long and stable ice fishing season which resulted in a lot more overall fishing on the Lake, increasing the potential total catch. This last winter we had no ice fishing, thus no winter increase in the total hours fished, which will likely reduce the potential total yearly catch.

A lot goes into both the effect on and estimating Lake Erie’s Walleye and other fish species populations. A fishery population in a body of water the size of and as dynamic as Lake Erie is very difficult to predict, or estimate. ODW and their counterparts in the other States and Ontario do a pretty good job, and technology and increased knowledge potentially make their estimates more accurate over time.
    I would like to point out that the Ice Fishing season good or bad goes toward the previous years catch TAC numbers ! Example had there been enough ice for the ice fishermen to get out and catch walleyes or perch this year (2017) those calculated totals would have already been included in the 2016 year since the new regulations for bag limits and the TAC run from May 1 to April 30.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

I got word today from a friend in the know that the state will release the new limits either today or tomorrow. As far as my source knows there will be no changes from the past several years. Walleyes will remain at 6 per angler per day and yellow perch will remain at 30 per angler per day in the western basin. I didn't ask him about the central and eastern basins but they will most likely remain the same.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS

I believe they released them Monday. Here is the link: http://wildlife.ohiodnr.gov/wildlife...ws-for-anglers

You are right, so I went back and checked my email and sure enough it was received last Saturday. LOL, I guess I need to be a little more aware and check my email more often.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS