Fishing etiquette Fishing etiquette Fishing etiquette Fishing etiquette
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Fishing etiquette

After reading a rant on another page. I was questioning what have I done wrong on the lake.
    Specifically while drifting/casting and jigging in large packs of boats.
    Unwritten rules. How close to another boat. How wide to motor back up for your next drift pass.
    Any tips for an undereducated walleye fisherman.

If you can cast your weapon onto another boat, you’re to close. 2 or 3 times your longest cast is sufficient.
    While making a pass for another drift, idle is a good choice if your closer than a football field to other boats. Beyond 100 yards, a surfing speed is fine.
    And for all you trollers that insist on putting your boards Rt up on my boat and drift, beware, I will be casting to catch your board,

I guess you can start by considering a pack the "no wake" zone.
    When moving back up to start a drift, go outside the pack or separate from other boats by about 150 ft. This is 3 casting distances and nobody should complain about that.
    When drifting, I don't get nervous until someone is within 2 cast lengths or about 100 feet. If you are passing a trolling boat try to go below them, where they already trolled over. Separate at least 150ft from their boards. Central and Eastern Basin maybe more.

Common sense is not always common. I had a perch fishing boat setup anchor only 60 yards below me then complain when I drifted within 20 feet of his boat. We were the only 2 boats out there. I told him what to do with his anchor and then we caught two walleye within casting distance from him. Maybe I wasn't the best example but he drew first blood. Knuckleheads are out there everywhere.
    Rickerd

Default HillbillyEye

Quote Originally Posted by Hapkido View Post
    After reading a rant on another page. I was questioning what have I done wrong on the lake.
    Specifically while drifting/casting and jigging in large packs of boats.
    Unwritten rules. How close to another boat. How wide to motor back up for your next drift pass.
    Any tips for an undereducated walleye fisherman.
    I agree with Ted
    The one that bothers me the most is when they watch your drift and see you are on a good line and then pull in front of you on the next drift and set up on the same line.
    Its ok to go to the back of the line on a drift but cutting off another boat because you watched them catch fish on that line is Unacceptable. Normally results in a few errant casts.

Reside in Columbus, OH. Have place in Perrysburg, OH.

This is a question often asked with a lot of variety in answers. Too many of us forget there are US Coast Guard Navigation Rules that you are legally bound to adhere to when out on Lake Erie.

Here is a link to a PDF if you really want to see what the charter boat captains and other licensed boats have to know and follow (tested on to get a license).

https://www.navcen.uscg.gov/pdf/navrules/navrules.pdf

You should know and follow the basic rules included in the above.

Here are just a few of the rules that pertain to fishing.

:The term “vessel engaged in fishing” means any vessel fishing with nets, lines, trawls,
    or other fishing apparatus which restricts maneuverability, but does not include a vessel
    fishing with trolling lines
    or other fishing apparatus which do not restrict maneuverability"

Safe Speed:
    (ii) the traffic density including concentrations of fishing vessels or any other vessels;

(c) A vessel engaged in fishing when underway shall, so far as possible, keep out of the way of:
    (i) a vessel not under command; and
    (ii) a vessel restricted in her ability to maneuver.
    (d) A seaplane on the water shall, in general, keep well

The suggestions already given on this thread are sound, as good courtesy is always the norm.

Since I'm not the expert here, I won't say I'm completely correct. BUT, generally speaking, the safety of all drift fishing boats (a vessel restricted in her ability to maneuver) is the responsibility of any vessel underway (trolling or setting up a drift). If you are trolling or setting up a new drift it is your responsibility to stay a safe distance from drift fishing boats. The 150 feet minimum rule is a pretty good distance in a tight pack of boats. Be smart. More distance is always better than less.

As far as two drift fishing boats go, the general rule (or should be) is the faster drifting boat should move, it should start it's engine and move enough to avoid a collision. Or the slower drifting boat if it comes in behind a faster drifting boat and sets up.

If we all follow these rules and courtesies we'll have few issues out on the water.
    Last edited by West Basin; 05-31-2018 at 12:42 PM.

So I ran into a situation a few weekends ago. Give me everyones input. It wasnt a windy day waves were less than 1ft but the current was strong. When my bow was pointed forward at 1.9 mph i was still drifting sideways while trolling. I was outside of the pack and had lines out with small boards. i headed my bow to have a clear line through the pack wasnt really close to anyone. Another much bigger boat drifting sideways at a much faster pace, overtook me over the course of 5 or 10 minutes. I didnt realize he was moving that much faster than i was we were both pointed the same direction but the current was having its way. He overtook my boards from behind with his big boards causing me to cut the line on one of my boards and off he went with it. All the while cussing me that i cut him off. I kept my temper, but next time... i have thought alot about it...hehe i will tie a 6 ounce weight and cast overtop his lines then tie another one and he can untangle his

Quote Originally Posted by rick2752 View Post
    So I ran into a situation a few weekends ago. Give me everyones input. It wasnt a windy day waves were less than 1ft but the current was strong. When my bow was pointed forward at 1.9 mph i was still drifting sideways while trolling. I was outside of the pack and had lines out with small boards. i headed my bow to have a clear line through the pack wasnt really close to anyone. Another much bigger boat drifting sideways at a much faster pace, overtook me over the course of 5 or 10 minutes. I didnt realize he was moving that much faster than i was we were both pointed the same direction but the current was having its way. He overtook my boards from behind with his big boards causing me to cut the line on one of my boards and off he went with it. All the while cussing me that i cut him off. I kept my temper, but next time... i have thought alot about it...hehe i will tie a 6 ounce weight and cast overtop his lines then tie another one and he can untangle his
    If he was pulling boards I doubt he was drifting. Post his boat name so everyone knows who the a-hole is. Only way to stop some of these guys is to call them out. Well, there are other ways but best not go there.

Quote Originally Posted by rick2752 View Post
    You are both headed in the same direction under power, he is overtaking you. Coast Guard rules would have you as the "stand-on vessel" and he would be the "give-way vessel".

My opinion is he knew your in line boards on lighter line were no match for his "big-boards". Photos and or video of his vessel and actions submitted as part of a complaint to the coast guard and dnr would be the path I'd take.

I agree I just think he was being a jerk. Does anyone know of the coast guard actually doing anything about something like this. I would be more likely to report then retaliate that way. Lol

Here is another good one....

Drifting along last evening. Wind had settled and was relatively calm and peaceful. We were only boat in sight for at least 3 miles. After a while from way, out in comes a big Sportcraft trolling with its inboard. Glub...glub...glub. Passed beside us about 40-50 yards. A little close given we were the only 2 boats as far as I could see, and he was pretty noisy, but okay not a big deal. As he passed we netted two or three fish. He went by and maybe 100 yards or so he did a hairpin turn and came up our other side about the same distance. He was closer than I would have come given he had the whole frickin lake and was pretty noisy. Still not a big deal but a wee bit aggravating. We netted another couple of fish as he glubbed...glubbed..glubbed by.

I thought okay, maybe he was running a line, but doubted it as he came from almost out of sight the first pass. That thought evaporated as he made another quick turn and came right back down our other side again, even closer this time. We scooped another fish as he went by and didn't the sucker make a third turn, and once again come up our other side...this second pass my buddies estimated it at 30 yards. After two complete doughnuts around us, and never having put his net in the water, he finally went on.

I mean the guy had the whole frickin lake. Our bite died and don't know if it was his noise or they just quit. But come-on, you got the whole lake. Only justice is that we boated 5, maybe 6 fish as he did his two doughnuts and we never saw his net in the water....