Placement of tree rod holder ? Placement of tree rod holder ? Placement of tree rod holder ? Placement of tree rod holder ?

Default Placement of tree rod holder ?

I would like as much information as possible about placing them, advantages forward near console, middle, or stern.
    If they are near console, their would be room to fight and net fish, but I read where one guy said their could be problems getting lines rapped in motor when turning. another guy said place them half way back between stern and console so pole could be accessed in front or in back of the tree. I have seen photos of the tree in all 3 positions.
    I got the 24" tracks for minor adjustments.
    What has been your experience if you use them please ?
    Thanks, Dennis
    I am writing the turkey day afternoon and do not expect many responses soon. Maybe after your nap, or in the next few days

I have mine mounted at the back side of the captain's seat, it's far enough ahead to fight fish up the side of the boat, and the lines have never been close to getting into the prop. I would say they are approximately 6' ahead of the transom. When I used tube style holders they were mounted further back and in the way of landing fish. If your holders are further back you are forced to land fish back by the motors giving you a better chance of getting in the props.
    Good luck
    Keith

I am not an expert by any means here, but this is how ours are set up and function. We don't have a tree, but hopefully this winter. We have 3 plastic rocket launchers a side. The reels fit with some room between them, but not a ton....I would guess all in about a 2 ft area. Our boat is not a center console but our front holder is about at the end of the rear facing seat.

When we hook up the person reeling goes as far back and to the other side of the boat( especially if it's the outside board) helps clear the lines in the event the fish does not pull the board back too far. Once the boards clear the pole person moves as far forward as possable (often with just 2 of us the person the person reeling will drive at the same time while the other nets). We use 7ft rods and the end of the pole is not beyond the rear of the boat, (if I could find 6 fters I might switch)

The fish almost always come up and in basicly in the center of boat and if not, a small wheel correction in the last 20 ft puts it there without upsetting path of the other poles, once netted, we return to course. Sometime the larger fish stay down and we neatraul to prevent the prop cutting.

As far as getting the line in the prop when turning, with the in lines running I don't know if you could turn sharp enough to get the lines in the prop. If so you would more than likely tangle many lines also.

When we get our trees I want to mount them about where our front holder is maybe father forward. I think this will help the boards pass when coming in cause it will give me more room to drop back before coming in over the inner boards by a few more feet havin all the poles in 1 spot as compaired to spread out.

Placement of tree rod holder ?-20160527_185600_1480024856572-jpgPlacement of tree rod holder ?-20160729_071506-jpg This is how I position mine, even with top on I have room to reel and net fish.

Placement should always be as forward as possible to allow the most room to fish/net/handle fish ect at the rear of the boat. But that placement also has to allow easy access to the rods, and not by just the taller folks. There are alot of folks that can not install/remove rods from trees due to required reach. Any seats, lockers, etc that are in the way of being able to walk up, reach up/out and remove/install a rod without having to balance/lean that could be dangerous in rough conditions. Location/placement also has to do with how high your gunnels to floor are, again how far you have to reach. If you have a hard top /walk around boat, you don't want the trees in the way of access getting in/out/forward.
    If you mention your boat, you might get some more detailed responses from experienced folks with your same boat.
    I can only hope I have earned the freedom that has been given me.

Quote Originally Posted by ebijack View Post
    Placement should always be as forward as possible to allow the most room to fish/net/handle fish ect at the rear of the boat. But that placement also has to allow easy access to the rods, and not by just the taller folks. There are alot of folks that can not install/remove rods from trees due to required reach. Any seats, lockers, etc that are in the way of being able to walk up, reach up/out and remove/install a rod without having to balance/lean that could be dangerous in rough conditions. Location/placement also has to do with how high your gunnels to floor are, again how far you have to reach. If you have a hard top /walk around boat, you don't want the trees in the way of access getting in/out/forward.
    If you mention your boat, you might get some more detailed responses from experienced folks with your same boat.
    Thanks, It is a 1989 Lund 1700 ProV, Probably not many old boats like it out there on Erie but maybe some will be familiar with it, the gunnels are about 20" tall from the floor, so that is a good point on reaching top tube in rough water to put rods in top holder.

I am getting some good info for this project.
    Thanks everyone, Dennis

Ours is a 1979 renken 900 19 ft with an 82 evinrude 115. I know what you mean about using an older model, but that does not mean they won't work out .