Firing range Firing range Firing range Firing range
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Firing range

Default Firing range

Would like to know if anyone has been jigging around the firing range yet??? And if there's been any luck? Or is it still to early

Quote Originally Posted by Wally View Post
    Would like to know if anyone has been jigging around the firing range yet??? And if there's been any luck? Or is it still to early
    Was at the condo at Green Cove yesterday getting ready for the rental season and nobody was fishing out front. Channel at Wild Wings had ice and watched one of the charter boats breaking thin ice going down channel.

If interested we rent our condo at Green Cove Resort also
    http://www.vacationrentals411.com/va...85.html?type=6

Thanks

John
    Last edited by capitalwalleye; 03-19-2017 at 04:51 PM.

Launched at Catawba today as all the marinas were still iced up. Jigged around little mouse reef and a few other areas. Marked fish all day and caught nothing. Gave up after 2 hours as it was slow. Finder was saying the water temp was 34.9 and I'm assuming that was the problem. I think this last cold front sent the fish back to being dormant. Reefs should pick up in a week I'd think. Tons of fish in deep water. Marked way more in 25-40 fow than anything shallower.

Thanks for the info guys. Yea though it was still to cold . "But thought just maybe"!! Coming up in about 3 weeks hope it's better by then. Trying to catch the jig "thank you again"

Yea with all the 13"-14" fish we caught last year this year should be good. I'd say 3 weeks from now it will definitely be "on."

Quote Originally Posted by Pauken23 View Post
    Launched at Catawba today as all the marinas were still iced up. Jigged around little mouse reef and a few other areas. Marked fish all day and caught nothing. Gave up after 2 hours as it was slow. Finder was saying the water temp was 34.9 and I'm assuming that was the problem. I think this last cold front sent the fish back to being dormant. Reefs should pick up in a week I'd think. Tons of fish in deep water. Marked way more in 25-40 fow than anything shallower.
    Wow we were out on the weekend of the 12th off of huron and water temp was just a few ticks above 40. I would had assumed at that point it would had been warmer in the shallower western waters and would not had guess an almost 6 degree cool down from that time.

Just checked the NOAA site and the fish finder was right. Water temp off Toledo is 35. This cold spell that came through really set things back.

I'm new to this but we smoked the fish in February out of Huron with 33 avg water temp no joke it was 32 at times too. Im guessing the big blow and water color has them shut down more than the temp. Although cooling down from 40 to 35 probably has an effect too, hopefully things level out and they start biting again soon!

I think it needs to be closer to 40 for them to go on the reefs to spawn. They stage outside of Huron before moving back west. You can definitely have luck in colder water just like ice fishing but trying to hit them spawning in 35 degree water is hard. And yea, the water was close to spawning temp and then dropped back down. I think that shocked them back to more of a staging position. It's mid/late March and I'd say any nice day now they'll be moving on to the reefs. Just my thoughts.

Still saying water temp is 35 off Toledo, 37 off Cleveland, and 34 off Erie. That doesn't make total sense but that's the NOAA numbers. Tomorrow is going to be cold in Toledo but this weekend is supposed to warm up a lot. I'd guess by Sunday or next week that temp will be back closer to 40. There is definitely enough daylight to trigger them and they are in rivers already (although I haven't heard of a really good day there yet, singles/doubles at best). The fish are there and if you fish hard enough you're bound to figure out what they want that day. This past Sunday we just got cold so didn't switch from jigging to trolling. I will say, people seemed to be doing half/half jig/troll last Sunday and I didn't see a single boat pull one in. Just one of those days. Now someone will obviously post on here how they got 4 limits last Sunday