Planer Boards ?? Planer Boards ?? Planer Boards ?? Planer Boards ??

Default Planer Boards ??

I have seen the Off Shore planer boards with different types of clips, (OR this and that number)
    My question is what are the differences in the clips and what one to choose for Lake Erie.
    ALSO I use 20# Suffix 832 Braided line. and will be using my Reef Runner 800, and weapons. and what ever.
    I am going to purchase a couple when I find out what to buy.
    Thanks, Dennis
    Last edited by D.D.E.; 10-13-2016 at 02:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by D.D.E. View Post
    I have seen the Off Shore planer boards with different types of clips, (OR this and that number)
    My question is what are the differences in the clips and what one to choose for Lake Erie.
    Thanks, Dennis
    Dennis
    I too bought planer boards this year. The same ones you did. The problem is the clips that comes with your boards are really difficult to put on.
    My friend told me to buy the OR-18's (clips) as they definetly work better. not as stiff as the ones that come with the new boards. The OR-18 clips the line just fits right in the clip and you snap the clip in. With the other clips you have to pinch them and hope you can get the line in quick enough.
    Hope this helps!

Thanks for the reply I should have stated my plan is to purchase some, I corrected that.

ALSO I use 20# Suffix 832 Braided line. and will be using my Reef Runner 800, and weapons. and what ever.
    I am going to purchase a couple when I find out what to buy.
    Thanks, Dennis
    Morning Dennis,

I'll just tell you how I have my Off Shores set up for Lake Erie...

I use the OR-18 (Snapper Release) on the front arm....and the OR-16 (Red Release with the pin in the center of the pad) on the back, or the OR-19's on the back.

The new boards come with the OR-19 (orange clip) on the back now, which is the same tension as the OR-16, but doesn't have the pin in the center of the pad. You could use that one too, which would allow the line to release from the back clip, and just stay secured with the OR-18 on the front.

The Snapper can be secured two ways...with the lever pushed "forward", keeping the line behind a pin in the front of the snapper...or, pushed "back", which would allow the line to be released, if the tension is set right for that. Some like to let it release, so the board can't dive when reeling in a big fish that might pull it under water. I like to keep them forward, so they do not release. But, note, that if you do have it set to release, you need to use the OR-16 on the back, and make sure that line is behind the pin in the center of the pad, or you're going to be chasing boards down!

I also use the Tattle Flag upgrades, so I can detect light biters, small fish, or weeds.

There are two different TT flag upgrade kits. One is the full kit (I've seen priced as high as 25.00), and the other is the "economy kit" at 9.99.

The economy kit is what I use, since most of the parts are already on the original board....like the flag. The full kit comes with another flag, and an OR-16...along with the other parts.

Sorry I can't get into more detail this morning, but I have to get ready to go perch'n!

If you have any questions, feel free to call me in the afternoon....(419) 835-7347 and I'll be happy to answer your questions.

Have a great day!
    Captain Julia "Juls" Davis
    [email protected]
    www.julswalleyefishingadventures.com
    https://www.facebook.com/JulsWFA?ref=br_rs
    Specializing in 1-3 person walleye and perch charters

Default tattle flag upgrade

On that other fishing website, umm, ogf, there a nice set-up to let you do the upgrade for pennies, you just need to be savy !! Just search tattle flag upgrade, easy to do or buy the kit as its almost worth it for the spare or-16.. Mike

Dennis, check your pm's. Sent you some info on a set of boards.

You can search other threads on this topic. Here is one.
    http://community.walleye.com/showthr...e+planer+board
    I can only hope I have earned the freedom that has been given me.

I just started using planer boards this year as I only used to drift harnesses but now started trolling. Since I'm new to this type of fishing I wanted the easiest setup. I came across Sidewinder planer boards, no clips as they release and stay on your line,sliding down to a bead and swivel. Not a bad setup and at 17 a piece, not a huge investment either. Might want to take a look.

Thank you for the input, I tried the sidewinders but because I use braided line, it will not stay in the holding apparatus, the line kept pulling out and the thing would slide back before I could even get it out. to bad they didn't tell us about that information, would have saved me money. They got me once.
    Hope your works well for you.
    Thanks, Dennis

Thank you for the input, I tried the sidewinders but because I use braided line, it will not stay in the holding apparatus, the line kept pulling out and the thing would slide back before I could even get it out. to bad they didn't tell us about that information, would have saved me money. They got me once.
    Hope your works well for you.
    Thanks, Dennis
    I also use braided line and didn't have a problem, I use 30 lb. power pro.