Florida Keys Florida Keys Florida Keys Florida Keys

Thread: Florida Keys

Cool Florida Keys

Does any one from Walleye.com fish the Florida Keys? Especially Marathon. I'm in the process of putting something together for next year winter after Lake Erie, trailering to Florida. Retired now and would like to give it another shot.

Blog Entries

Captain Bob Brown provides charters on Lake Erie in spring and summer then moves his operation to Marathon, FL for the winter months. I've fished with him in the keys before and he is very knowledgeable of the area . He would be happy to give you advice if you're looking for a place to put your boat.

http://sundancesportfishing.com/

Blog Entries

Default Marathon lady!

Quote Originally Posted by rodnut View Post
    Does any one from Walleye.com fish the Florida Keys? Especially Marathon. I'm in the process of putting something together for next year winter after Lake Erie, trailering to Florida. Retired now and would like to give it another shot.
    Hello,
    As a start to fishing the Keys, Marathon, you might want to try a Head Boat. The Marathon Lady has a site to look up with prices, schedules, etc. All the commercial 6-Packs and Party Boats have pro's and con's listed on Trip Advisor. A trip or two on a head boat will give you an idea of what to look for and a conversation here and there with the Capt./Crew will yield more advice. If you go on a trip with them, go to the dock when they come back in the day before and watch the passengers. If they are happy and 'hi-5'n' each other, they did good. But if they come into the dock and they have a grumpy look with arms folded, well, you get the message. I will add that it would be a good idea for you to look up the Rules and Regulations for Sport Fishing in the Keys during the season(s) that you'll be there. Ask some locals or the boat crew about using fresh bait rather than frozen. Sure, you'll pay for it but hey it just might be worth it! (I know it is). Ask if they have aeration for it. Some do at no charge.
    Can you bring you're own gear? Ask them, most allow it, why not?
    One neat thing about catching fish down there is that local restaurants will, for a fee, cook your catch. GET TO KNOW THEM! (Walk, don't run).

I fish with Captain Jimmy Gagliardini on the High Caliber Chaters docked at the Hammocks Resort in Marathon 305-395-0915
    It's All About the Journey NOT the Destination!!!

"I FIND THE FISH I ALWAYS FIND THE FISH"!!!

1994 Sportcraft Hard top 250 Fisherman

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye_Rick View Post
    Captain Bob Brown provides charters on Lake Erie in spring and summer then moves his operation to Marathon, FL for the winter months. I've fished with him in the keys before and he is very knowledgeable of the area . He would be happy to give you advice if you're looking for a place to put your boat.
    Walleye
    http://sundancesportfishing.com/
    I "second" Walleye Rick's suggestion of contacting Captain Bob Brown. He is a great Captain. He is a third generation marina owner and been a charter captain for over 30 years. If I was fishing Marathon he would be one of the people I talk to.

-Matt