Preparing for jigging Preparing for jigging Preparing for jigging Preparing for jigging
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Preparing for jigging

Alright avid jiggers....throw me some advice for bait, line weight, etc. I am looking to do so serious jigging as soon as I can get the boat in the water.

Blog Entries

I start with a purple or john deere green colors, weight depends on the how fast we are drifting 1/2 to 1 oz . Minnow are a option some guys use them some don't. Stinger hooks are a option some guys use them some don't. I use 15# braided line, with about a 2 ft leader with fluorocarbon. I'm out of wild winds so I hit the reefs and the beach area between wild wing and turtle creek. You'll see where all the boats are. This is what I do but I'm sure there are other options out there. Everyone on this site has there own that works for them........ Hope this helps

Hair jigs 1/2oz up to 1oz with stinger hooks. Size depends on wind/water conditions with purple and John Deer green my favorite colors. You can tip with shiners if you want. That is a matter of preference, some do-some don't. You also might try blade baits. A lot of people use them also. Line weight: I use 8 to 12 test braid with about a 6ft flourocarbon leader. Hope this helps.

Love the conversation as I hope to make a bucket list trip this spring. Interesting on the size of the jigs used - I've never owned any over 3/8oz, and those we use here for salmon and brown trout on Lake MI in our shallower to 20 fow.

One of the most commonly over looked pieces of essential equipment is the simple drift sock. It is better to have one that is to big than one that is to small. You have to have a somewhat slow controlled drift in order to jig effectively on the reefs and surrounding areas.

!/2 oz to 1 oz hair jigs. They are available locally at all of the bait stores located near the launching ramps adjacent to the reef complex. Colors that I would have along would be black, black, black, purple and JD Green. Did I mention black?

The faster the drift the heavier the jig, if you cannot keep contact with the bottom with a 1 oz jig it is most likely to rough to fish anyhow. Contact with the bottom is essential as the jig pounding on the bottom is what attracts the males and induces them to strike the jig.

Rod and reel is a personal preference, mine is a 6 to 7 ft medium action spinning rod with a 2000 or 2500 series spinning reel spooled with new left over braid from filling my trolling rigs. Most often that is 30 lb braid which is about the same diameter as 8 lb mono. A little overkill for sure but it is already bought so I use it and just set the drag like I am using 8 lb line and have never had a problem. I also use a short 18 to 24 inch leader of either 12 lb mono or fluorocarbon to hide the main line and to provide a weak link in the line to lure just in case I get snagged in the rocky reefs.

I always have shiners along just in case. I am a firm believer in having them along and maybe not needing them as opposed to needing them and not having them.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

What about a magical water temperature thresh hold? What is the degree that turns them on?

Also, occasionally I will drag a 5 gallon bucket or 2 to slow my troll. About .2 mph per bucket. I suppose it would work in the same fashion as a sock for the drift?

My recollection is at 40 degrees or just above, now with that being said one has to remember that there is a ton of fish caught thru the ice when the water is at its coldest. I think the 40 degrees and the amount of daylight seems to get them going with the longer day light making the most difference. Next is look for a full moon during that period when the daylight is getting longer and the water temps are getting into the low forties. That usually happens in the month of April and that is usually the peak period.

Yes the old 5 gallon bucket trick works well to help slow you down and you can deploy a couple of extras out if the need arises for little or even no cost.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

3/8 jigs will work on the reefs just fine, especially with an anchored position or a slow drift. Heck the reefs are pretty close to the surface.

have all size and color 20 dollars a dozen check out the forums go to marketplace. if you cant find a certain jig ill make it.making around 40-50 a day from scratch so i can make any color or size you want even if no one else has it. im getting real busy so first come first served
    Last edited by rscotfish; 02-01-2016 at 12:24 AM.