How and where do u catch a trophy walleye in april? How and where do u catch a trophy walleye in april? How and where do u catch a trophy walleye in april? How and where do u catch a trophy walleye in april?
    hot-n-tot501 Guest

Default How and where do u catch a trophy walleye in april?

Yeah, im just curious about where the big females are at during the jig in mid april near the reefs. Last year i fished out of Fenwick marina during the second or third week of april and the fishing was fantastic. All males though, not a walleye over 18". We were only 1/4 to 1/2 mile offshore in 8-10 foot of water. What i really want though is one, just one, big trophy walleye to get mounted. Is it true that during this time, big females won't really bite and the only thing biting are the small males nearshore from port clinton to the maumee bay? I've heard a few people say that in early May fishing just to the north and east of the reefs are productive in the deep water, especially east of niagra reef. I just really want to land at least one or two big walleye this year. If anyone know's any tactics to catching trophys this time of year, please let me know, i would apperciate it greatly. Thanks, and good fishing.

ERIE REBEL1 Guest

Once you get tired of catching your jig fish head North to the B and C can area.Pull some Reefrunners,Ripsticks Husky Jerks and Rouges.Speeds should be right around 1mph.Chances are your piggie will be there.

new to erie walleye Guest

Default kelleys and bass island good for cranks that time of year?

Quote Originally Posted by ERIE REBEL1 View Post
    Once you get tired of catching your jig fish head North to the B and C can area.Pull some Reefrunners,Ripsticks Husky Jerks and Rouges.Speeds should be right around 1mph.Chances are your piggie will be there.
    is kelleys and bass islands good for pulling cranks the first couple of weeks in april. i will be heading out of miziek launch and am new to the area.

The best, for me, is to just luck into one once in a while.
    However, a few times a year I do catch one of those big, monster sheepshead that trick your mind. You know, the one that you're pretty sure is huge sheepshead, but the whole time you're realing, you keep thinking maybe, just maybe...
    It's fun anyway.

cdemeyes Guest

Talking big eyes in april

The males, as you have found, will hang around the reefs far longer than the females. This is the deal! After they spawn the females leave the reef area and head to open water. The cans around the reef area will produce bigger females suspended through the first couple weeks in april. when the water temp is around 43 degrees and up the females could be found by the cans all the way to the west side of north bass. One the water hits the 46 and up there will be alot of fish around north bass and kelleyes island and the cans begin to thin out a little as far as the bigger walleyes. I could make this really long but I think you get the idea.Alot of factors play in to this bite, wind,weather patterns etc! pull reef runners above where your marking the walleyes and you'll get em . Hope this makes sense. best of luck and good bless.

cdemeyes (corey)

kingofthewater Guest

North of Kelleys is usually pretty solid. Last year my dad and I worked right on the Canadian line ENE of North Bass and got um pretty good. Lost my trophy there with 30 feet left on the line counter.
    Last edited by kingofthewater; 03-11-2008 at 11:29 PM.