Fishing this weekend Fishing this weekend Fishing this weekend Fishing this weekend

Default Fishing this weekend

Good afternoon! I hope everyone is doing well and staying dry. I'm going to be heading up this weekend, weather permitting, and an looking for some advice. From what I can tell, we're right on that line where water temperature dictates we change our tactics and I'm trying to get a feel for what the correct program will be. Are most of you that are trolling starting to run spins, or are most of you still running cranks around 1.2-1.5? The warm weather (relative to the water temp at least) coupled with the rain forecasted has me torn between preparing to run cranks and running spoons and I'm trying to decide what to prepare for.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance and good luck this week!

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by Hoytman86 View Post
    Good afternoon! I hope everyone is doing well and staying dry. I'm going to be heading up this weekend, weather permitting, and an looking for some advice. From what I can tell, we're right on that line where water temperature dictates we change our tactics and I'm trying to get a feel for what the correct program will be. Are most of you that are trolling starting to run spins, or are most of you still running cranks around 1.2-1.5? The warm weather (relative to the water temp at least) coupled with the rain forecasted has me torn between preparing to run cranks and running spoons and I'm trying to decide what to prepare for.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance and good luck this week!

Adam
    If I can get my boat ready I will be out this weekend. It should be finished on Wed. but who knows with my luck the way it has been lately. Right now I plan on jigging for an hour or so then start pulling Spinners with speed starting at 1.5 GPS/SOG and adjusting from there. To determine if a slower or faster speed is needed do a lot of s curves and if you get hit on the inside of the turn then slow down some if on the out side of the turn speed up some.

I will be flexible and also have some DDHJ12 along and may even mix them with the spinners/harnesses!
    Last edited by wakina; 04-27-2015 at 01:47 PM.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

That sounds like a plan to me! Harnesses is the one thing I've got PLENTY of, just wanted one more trip without worms! I'll bring everything and try a little of everything I suppose. Gotta get some be treble hooks for the spoons I suppose, not eating fish on those crappy Michigan Stinger hooks.

We have been running bandits, rr, and hj's as of the 25th. Hell, take it all!
    F Troop 9th Cav 1st Air Cav

Quote Originally Posted by Bggeary View Post
    We have been running bandits, rr, and hj's as of the 25th. Hell, take it all!
    Taking lots of baits and lots of beer, we'll have fun one way or another!

That a boy!
    F Troop 9th Cav 1st Air Cav

I fished this past weekend. In the can area, water temp was 47-48 and NW of Kelly's, the water temp was 43-44. I'm not that experienced, but I've read that the worm harnesses and spoons come into play once the water temp reaches 50-55 degrees. I've also read that crankbaits can be used the entire season with the caveat that you need a higher action crankbait once the water warms. I'm not sure how this translates into lure selection. I think it means to switch from perfect 10's and husky jerks to reef runners and deep down husky jerks as the water warms

Well according to Captain Erik, you could stick a lug nut on a hook and catch limits as long as it's IB Frozen! I'm probably going to be picking up a few extra cranks this weekend and I need to get some Tru Trip 40s this weekend. We never had the boat ready early enough for this party of the season!

I just made some snap weights out of iron wheel weights that I separated from the lead that I use to cast. I was just going to pitch them since they're not worth much as scrap, may as well put them to work instead of spending money on pencil weights and they've got the added benefit of being echo friendly. I found a dozen or so of the shallow diving cranks in an old tackle box in the barn, just need to replace some rusty hooks and I'll be good to go.

Thanks again for all the help guys, can't wait to get back up to the lake and get into the eyes. If anyone is out, I'll make sure 79 is in the scanning list on the radio and I'll PM my number to you if you want to text/call. Probably going to head out of Catawba and try either between the islands or hit some of our old numbers to the west of South Bass. Good luck to all!