electric fillet knife electric fillet knife electric fillet knife electric fillet knife

Default electric fillet knife

I want to buy an electric fillet knife. What is the best one. By best I mean what will keep an edge longest, ergonomic, cordless, price.
    I have seen 3
    Mr twister
    Rapala
    Storm
    My buddy as the latter and It has a hard time withthe backbone.
    What do you all use?
    Tom

Walleye Fever Guest

Default elec. knives

i would not buy a Mr. Twister elec knife. i have burned up many of them, they have nylon gears. I have used only reg.elec knives,no cordless.The one I use now is American Angler. The blades are pretty cheap, and its tough to sharpen. Have fun watch your fingers, good luck Walleye Fever

Default electric knife

Thanks walleye fever. Any tips for the perch. I have butchered a few of them. This is my first year on lake erie. Never had too many fish to clean until now and that is a good thing.
    Tom

Walleye Fever Guest

Default perch filleting and walleye filleting

I start with the left side of the fish facing me. Then cut behind the gill cover down to the spine, kind of curling the knife follow the spine keeping the blade against the spine this side of the dorsal fin cutting to the tail.(one side done)flip fish over do the same thing to the other side. Be patient you will get many crossovers till you get the hang of it. I have been doing this for 20 yrs.and I still crossover when filleting. When you have your two fillets put them skin side start at the top of the rib cage roll your knife taking out the rib cage, after that with the skin side still down put your index finger at the tail pressing firmly start a small cut curl your knife run the blade along the skin and remove your fillet. It takes practice, just keep catching fish. Walleye are easier to do, better to practice on. Its harder going through the rib cage, thats how I wear out my blades and knives, but you have a vary professional looking fillet.

toxic Guest

My Mr Twister lasted me over 20 year. It finally died on me last week while cutting up walleye. And I cut up tons of fish with it over that period flawlessly. I ordered another one because the other one lasted so long. Do a search on YouTube. There are a ton of videos on filleting fish.