Crib Reef Crib Reef Crib Reef Crib Reef
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crib Reef

Default Crib Reef

Out of respect for the Victims of the tragic event I started this thread on Crib Reef to keep this off of the Missing boaters thread!

GPS shows crib reef and the danger zone but the problem is that if you are not zoomed in you cannot determine exactly where the dangerous portion of the Reef lays. Example would be to plot a course from Green Island to Turtle Creek and follow that track with the entire track showing on the GPS screen that track may take you directly over Crib Reef depending on where you started your course plotting from. You would be unable to tell exactly where you are in relation to the danger zone on the crib reef and possibly the reef itself as you were passing by it or over it unless you were zoomed in.

Placing any marker in the area could solve the problem but may not be possible due to Laws governing the placement of objects that could be considered a hazard to navigation. That would have to be researched to find out the answer. In the 60's and early 70's there was a black barrel about the size of a flour barrel right at that big boulder. So it was not as big of a problem then as it is now! The danger was still there but was marked much closer than it is today.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

Getting involved in something like putting a marker there is something that I would could get behind. As I recall, someone on this forum lost a lower unit to the lake right at that spot.

According to the charts, if they accurately depict the locations of the can and the shallow spot, the can is over 1,100 feet from the danger spot. That is so shallow for being 4 miles from shore!
    21ft Red Mirrocraft Open Bow w/ gray Evinrude 120 OB. Nicknamed "Sunny Daze".

Channel 79, hit me up. Can be caught perch'n or drift'n around the islands when I make it out.

Quote Originally Posted by B can man View Post
    Getting involved in something like putting a marker there is something that I would could get behind. As I recall, someone on this forum lost a lower unit to the lake right at that spot.

According to the charts, if they accurately depict the locations of the can and the shallow spot, the can is over 1,100 feet from the danger spot. That is so shallow for being 4 miles from shore!

I may know the guy that hit that boulder with the lower unit.

I think "he" still has the numbers.

Default Crib

Thanks Wakina !
    A couple years ago I was drifting just off the reef and saw a guy standing on the rock, he was maybe waist deep or lower chest deep in the water. One guy bumped it with his prop, drifting on a flat day with a 30ft Sportcraft.
    Please be careful and know where you are, some spots just into Canadian water are very shallow with no markers at all.
    Capt. Greg Hoyt
    419-890-2555 cell #
    Anchors Away Marina
    [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by Steuben1 View Post
    I may know the guy that hit that boulder with the lower unit.

I think "he" still has the numbers.
    HHUUMMM that sure is bad news

I've thought that for years. Should be a bouy or some kinda marker there

Blog Entries

Default lets do something!

I also wanted to add something but not in the original thread .We have an opportunity here to make our boating and fishing safer the early season on the lake is very dangerous. With water temp. Dead heads and Add to that an unmarked reef . A couple of marker bouys could be a inexpensive life and equipment saver could we as members of the walleye. Com community start a safe boating committee to look into getting this as well as other things in place to make our fishing and boating safer. What do you think ? Ps if any one wants to pm me on this feel free to use my e mail address [email protected]. for faster response
    Last edited by MBLMIKE; 04-19-2014 at 07:22 AM. Reason: added e mail address

Default Crib reef

I completely agree with you that Crib Reef should have a buoy and our fishing committee should get behind a motion to those in power to make it happen. I had a doctor friend with a 27 foot Grade White who had been fishing that area for many years and was quite familiar with the existing hazard and still lost his lower unit on the reef while trolling the area.

Default dangerous spots

Gull Shoal is another dangerous spot where the buoy is far away from the shallowest water. I'm sure there has been many hulls and/or lower units destroyed there. I saw a guy flying through there last year and prayed that he didn't hit. I don't know how he made it.

Quote Originally Posted by qspman View Post
    Gull Shoal is another dangerous spot where the buoy is far away from the shallowest water. I'm sure there has been many hulls and/or lower units destroyed there. I saw a guy flying through there last year and prayed that he didn't hit. I don't know how he made it.
    i agree,
    in 2001 in early april, we were coming back to huron after a great day north at the junkyard and i hit the tip of the shoal where usually there is a red buoy. the buoys were not placed yet. limped home with a damaged prop. even had my gps. although with many years of experience, since 1979 fishing erie.
    my point is, no matter how much you think you know, there is always that day that brings you down to earth. had i been just 100' more south, there would have been no issues......tight lines to all....