Rookie buying new equipment Rookie buying new equipment Rookie buying new equipment Rookie buying new equipment

Default Rookie buying new equipment

I finally bought a boat big enough for erie, but its a compromise ....its a cabin cruiser. 2001 Four winns 248 vista. It has rod holders on sides, but I was thinking 2 more in the middle or maybe like a fold n troll kind of system. I have big dreams of trolling for walleye, trying out the salmon on lake michigan, and maybe striper fishing in cumberland. Can I buy a rod and reel that will cover this wide variance in fish?.... I just started looking and I am overwelmed by all the choices. Just in rods, there are lead core, trolling, dipsy, not to mention all the different size reels. I dont have a clue where to start. Any direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Rick

Wow nice.... Congratulation for buying a boat big enough for erie! Well I don't think there is need to be much & more compromise for this new a boat big enough.

you have a whole new world to rigging a boat for eyes and salmon. the reel size you need depends a lot on what your going to use it for. if your going to be running dipsy type divers I would recommend the daiwa sg27lca reels they are good reels and will hold enough line for salmon and eyes. if your budjet allows you might want to look at the shimano tekota reels. you want to put a mono backing on the reel then fill with 30 to 50 lb braid then use about a 10 or 12 ft fluro leader. if you plan on using wire line copper or lead core your going to need bigger reels. I don't really know what size reels you need for running wire line, copper, or lead core maby someone else can tell you. I do walleye fishing only now and I use the daiwa sealine sg17lca which is big enough for running divers for eyes but im not sure they would be big enough for salmon.

I run 6 divers for eyes and I use all the same size reels and put the same amount of backing then the same amount of main line on top. this just helps keep your divers from tangling.

I do have 2 riggers on my boat. I have one in each corner then I have 3 rod holders on the side of the boat in front of the riggers for running my divers. you don't really need riggers for fishing eyes but they are nice for salmon. and they will get 2 more lines in the water when fishing for eyes. I don't want anything in the back of the boat as you need this space for letting out your divers and landing fish.

I suggest you go out on some open seats or take a charter out a couple of times and just see first hand how its done. I know it takes money to go out on a charter. but it is money well spent you will learn more in one trip than you can learn in yrs on your own.
    sherman