New Weather Buoy in Western Lake Erie (Monroe/Toledo) New Weather Buoy in Western Lake Erie (Monroe/Toledo) New Weather Buoy in Western Lake Erie (Monroe/Toledo) New Weather Buoy in Western Lake Erie (Monroe/Toledo)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default New Weather Buoy in Western Lake Erie (Monroe/Toledo)

New Weather Buoy in Western Lake Erie (Monroe/Toledo)

I just put out a new weather buoy as part of a special study this year. The buoy is located about 6 miles southeast of Monroe just north of the Toledo Harbor channel across the Ohio state line on the southeast corner of the open lake disposal area for the USACE.

The data is availalbe here

http://uglos.mtu.edu/station_page.php?station=45165

The buoy also has a camera on it to transmit images and video clips every 30 min. Here's a link to the images/video.

http://www.limnotechdata.com/stations/Monroe/

You can also get the latest wind, wave, and water temp information by texting 45165 to 734-418-7299. This service also works for the weather station on Toledo Light #2 (thl01) or any other NDBC station. A list of active NDCB stations in the Great Lakes can be found here http://bit.ly/ndbcstations or a map of active stations can be found here http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/obs.shtml

Please DO NOT tie up to the buoy. It is not that forgiving and it is also illegal! Please don't hesistate to email me at everhamme at limno.com for more information on the buoy.
    Last edited by everhamme; 05-14-2013 at 11:06 AM.

Default NEW wEATHER bUOY

Can it find walleye, haven't caught many this year at all.
    Why a new one? Toledo light #2 is great, especially the way it displays data in 5' increments for the last 3 hours.....

Quote Originally Posted by bobd47fish View Post
    Can it find walleye, haven't caught many this year at all.
    Why a new one? Toledo light #2 is great, especially the way it displays data in 5' increments for the last 3 hours.....
    It definitely can't find walleye.. but does display turbidity and surface temperature, use that to find em!

This one is for a special one year study and provides way more data than just the wind/air temp sensor on Toledo Light #2. Data is updated every 10 minutes. The webcam video is also pretty darn cool.

Default Cool

Quote Originally Posted by everhamme View Post
    It definitely can't find walleye.. but does display turbidity and surface temperature, use that to find em!

This one is for a special one year study and provides way more data than just the wind/air temp sensor on Toledo Light #2. Data is updated every 10 minutes. The webcam video is also pretty darn cool.
    I like it, the video is really cool. The way the buoy moves with the waves

everhamme, thanks for the links and information. Very useful indeed.

Rich B.

Anyone CheckingThe Buoy Before Going Out? Just Curious IF It's Useful

I have use it, works good!

Default Great Resource - look at link if you haven't

Great Resource! Ed and the LimnoTech folks do great work. I have worked with them on the algae issues.

One question Ed, is the wave height given equal to the heights on the weather wave forecasts, or does one double it like guys do for the Vermillion buoy?

Wouldn't it be great for NOAA or someone to put another one of these between West Sister and South Bass, say the B can area!!! Wonder what it costs to run one for a year.

Default Buoy

That thing is great! I look at it every rime before I go out, no surprises. I have to show it the the little woman before she will go out. And yes wouldn't it be nice to have one at B can LEfriend, could you check on that?

Is the Text service a free service or is there a surcharge assessed each time you inquire? That's a very nice resource to have on the West end.