requesting info for Fairport Harbor area requesting info for Fairport Harbor area requesting info for Fairport Harbor area requesting info for Fairport Harbor area
    Buster Guest

Default requesting info for Fairport Harbor area

I'm new to walleye fishing, been perching most of my life but decided to give trolling a try after seeing the coolers coming in.

I'm running 3 rods with large dipsy's, one on either corner, set at 3 1/2 and one in the middle set at zero, but I keep getting conflicting advice on how deep to go, how fast to go, what lures to use, etc... So far - only 1 fish in the boat.

First of all...are those depth charts that come with the dipsy's accurate?

How do you know where to go? I've heard anywhere from 25 to 60 fow.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Also, if there are any first mates that are currently working on a charter, and would like to be hired for 1/2 a day to work on my boat, showing me how to troll - I'd be interested in talking.

I normally fish out of Geneva. But If I were you I'd start trolling about 60fow and run out to about 70fow. A good fish finder is a must. The charts with the dipsy's are fairly accurate. It just depends on what size and line type you are running. Fish dictate the speed you are trolling. If your not getting hits vary your speed I normaly troll from 1.5 to 3.5 mph. Good colors for stingers are superman, watermelon, and kevorkian. Went out last Sunday the 29andput 11 eyes, 2 perch in the box and all the eyes were anywhere from 5-6 lbs.

Hope this helps good luck.

Buster Guest

Default tx walleyeguy

Thanks for the advice - I'll give it a shot (hopefully next weekend). I'll let you know how it works out!

Thanks again