any chance of ice fishing on lake erie any chance of ice fishing on lake erie any chance of ice fishing on lake erie any chance of ice fishing on lake erie
    carp1234 Guest

Default any chance of ice fishing on lake erie

i am new to ice fishing this year and have just been on some ponds catching crappie but i would like to go on lake erie and get some pearch and/or walleye. Would like to know if there is safe ice and how i could find out for myself if there is safe ice without going out there to find out the hard way. any advice would be appreciated and any good locations to go if there is safe ice would be nice to thanks to all and good fishing

Smile Safe Ice

I've been waiting all winter to say we have it, and I am still holding my breath. There was an article in the Toledo Blade about a couple fisherman off Crane Creek and one of them twisted his ankle and needed rescue from the township Fire Dept to assist off the ice. He was 2 1/2 miles out, but they crossed over 2" in spots during the rescue. That means they walked-- no ATV or snowmobile. This weekend may be a ???????. But since your new to the sport I would not recommend it unless you have a party of guys to travel with for safety. I am going to go out there sat, but if no one shows I will not attempt it alone. I will take a spud for safety purposes and lighten my load. I will take a camera in case I am lucky.

Go to www.toledoblade.com. Search by Keywords-- "Crane Creek" to read article. Date of edition 2/25/08.

Everybody is OK

Fished out of Catawba Monday and today with zero results. Rode out about two miles west, then north a ways and walked the last half mile or so to 21 fow. Lousy ice, dirtier water, no hits. I wouldn't go out if I were you unless there are a number of others out there.

FishingBud Guest

Lake erie is a dangerous place to ice fish. I had wanted to ice fish it for years and about 10 years ago Jack Tibbel told me that a guy who use to guide ice fisherman fell through and drowned I changed my mind. Supposedly, this guide knew the lake as well as anybody and I always did trust Jack's judgement.

Smile Pat Chrysler

His name was Pat Chrysler and he chartered on South Bass Island with his sons. He was moving shanties in the night with his ATV. He did not see the pressure crack in the dark. ATV hit far side and he got knocked out. That's the true story. And god bless him.
    It is a dangerous game, but with the right conditions and proper equipment it can be an experience one will never forget. I always take my GPS mounted on the ATV or around my neck if walking, and use the tracking feature to make sure I follow the same path in as I did on the way out. I also take 2 compasses. One mounted on my ATV and another in my pocket. A cell phone, ice picks through my coat sleeves, and wear creepers. I just cant stay away because of the average size of the fish we catch far exceeds spring and summer fishing. I.e. the last 2 Ohio State Record Walleye were caught through the ice. Our average is 24" 5lbs. too big to eat, but fun to catch.

C Ya on the water