Risk vs Reward - Part II Risk vs Reward - Part II Risk vs Reward - Part II Risk vs Reward - Part II
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Risk vs Reward - Part II

Everything was the same this morning as last week with just a little tweaking. Started at the 42.025N and the 81.46W. Again 12-15 kt winds right out of the south and 3-5' waves. Todays speed was 1.9 running due north. Stinger spoons (Sir Walleye and Watermelon) down 62' off a 15' lead on the balls. Big bright green and chartreuse willow blade harnesses back 180feet on 5 ' leads off 4.5 oz bottom bouncers run on 12 lb SS wire line. Both presentations worked equally well but again a little tweak on the downriggers was needed to entice a bite. After 15-20 minutes without a bite I will lower the ball all the way to the bottom, wait 20 seconds and then jerk the spoon free and jig it up thru the fish. This method caught two nice eyes. By the time we hit the 42.07 line --- Limit!!! The smallest fish was just under 5 lb plus one Fish Ohio. To add to the day, 2 more eyes were taken while bringing in lines, a 25" and a 27" which were tearfully released to be caught another day, perhaps by you. Only 2 other boats were near and I can't blame anyone for staying off the lake when it's a little rough. One must know his own limitations and that of his boat. I always weigh the risks and for most of the time you know which way I go. Today it was 22 miles and worth it.

Hey Mr Ed, We trolled 5 times in Jan 8 times in Feb and 13 times in March and caught more 10 lb plus fish than we have in our hole careers. We jigged nup a bunch in April, then caught hundreds of bass in May. Went to Stannard rock in Lake Superior for lake trout in June. July saw more than 20 muskey boated in Lk Str Clair. Aug brought salmon fishing in lk mich with 50+ salmon in the boat, and last weekend we were in Conny for monster perch. We will start walleye fishing again soon. But my question is....who the f-ck do you think you are?

I'm sorry my profile is lacking but here are the facts. I was born in downtown Cleveland and I have been fishing Lake Erie since I was 9 years old. I am now 76. I was on the lecture circuit which included the Cleveland Sportsman Show and Cleveland Eastlake Middle School. I wrote for Bud Reiser's Walleye Magazine until it was bought out by the InFisherman. In Greek, doctor means teacher. All I am trying to do is share my current knowledge and experience with those who care. On my boat we don't use four letter words like golf, bass, Blue and the "F" word. Go Bucks!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Ed View Post
    I'm sorry my profile is lacking but here are the facts. I was born in downtown Cleveland and I have been fishing Lake Erie since I was 9 years old. I am now 76. I was on the lecture circuit which included the Cleveland Sportsman Show and Cleveland Eastlake Middle School. I wrote for Bud Reiser's Walleye Magazine until it was bought out by the InFisherman. In Greek, doctor means teacher. All I am trying to do is share my current knowledge and experience with those who care. On my boat we don't use four letter words like golf, bass, Blue and the "F" word. Go Bucks!!!
    I personally have never been offended in any way with your posts. The fact is that I started fishing lake erie in 1955 at the age of 7! In that day there were no limits on any of the fish that we now have limits on! If you went to Niagra reef area and saw more than 4 or 5 boats it was considered crowded. We didn't have cell phones, fish finders or sonars, gps or radios. We just had ourselves out there and most often alone because there were not that many boats that would venture offshore very far. I am now 64 years old and have still learned from your posts and have been refreshed on forgotten ways to catch walleyes.

I understand what you mean by the risks involved when you go offshore 15+ miles to catch a limit of walleyes in 3 to 4 foot waves. For someone to come on here and belittle you for posting what you have done and the ways you have used to catch fish is beyond me. They claim to have caught all of those 10 lb fish this year and to have fished in months that are not normally fished in due to a mild winter, I do not disbelieve their story as it is much easier to catch 10lb + walleyes when they are concentrated into one of the largest shoal's of walleyes on earth due to the call of spawning! But when that same person can go out into the open lake and catch a 4, 5, or 6 man limit of 28" walleyes using his own experience and know how plus being out of site of land then I may be more inclined to listen to what they have to say as long as they are not attacking others with the words of "who the f-ck do you think you are?" especially when that person has been a member of this site since 2/28/2008 and has only made 13 posts, of which only a few have any type of actual fishing info in their content! I am still at a loss about the "We trolled 5 times in Jan 8 times in Feb and 13 times in March and caught more 10 lb plus fish than we have in our hole careers. We jigged nup a bunch in April," where were the fishing reports for those trips that he claimed to have made back then? He then goes on to say "caught hundreds of bass in May" but again no fishing reports? "and last weekend we were in Conny for monster perch." again no fishing reports! I just think he likes to belittle and not contribute!

Dr.Ed:~Please keep up the good work keeping us informed as to the where how and when of your fishing trips!!
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

Thank You.

I'll second that Wakina!
    I can only hope I have earned the freedom that has been given me.

Dr. Ed,
    There are people like me that need to read your posts. We were never brought up on the lake. I am just now trying to learn the lake and how to fish it at 41 years old. It's something I want to learn with my teenage son. He will always remember it.
    So, I say, keep the info. coming for those of us who enjoy reading it.
    Rookie Perch fisher, veteran Perch eater.

Default Dr.ED

We all appreciate good post so keep it up!Hoss Im with you come up 3-4 times a yr 38yrs old live 5 hrs away chartered alot but not same as being captain all information welcome.Have two boys and thier friends like to bring with me and they like to fish . Lifetime of Memories. Thanks Dr. ED

I appreciate all of you who came to my rescue after some unsavory remarks were made by 'mrahn' regarding my posts but I want you to know that yesterday he contacted me with an apology which I accepted. Now let's get back to fishing. I will be leaving the Geneva State Park marina Friday morning around 6:45 am for anyone who cares to follow me. It should be a great day. I will post the results as soon as I can. Oh, I'll be on Ch. 68 if anyone wants to talk.
    Last edited by Dr.Ed; 09-25-2012 at 09:19 AM.

Default Geneva walleye

I want to thank you for sharing ur knowledge. I have been fishing west of the islands with little luck. how early do I need to get to the ramp for parking or waiting to launch? I was planning on fishing east of the islands in hope the deeper water would hold more fish any info on depth or location would be great. in all my travels outdoorsman have allways been the best people always helping each other out. but I am sad to say that I have had little help from others on this site. it's not like there is not enough fish for everyone and if u have ur own boat there not loosing charter clients why so much close lip location or depth information. please provide ur thoughts.