ODNR New Low for Revenue ODNR New Low for Revenue ODNR New Low for Revenue ODNR New Low for Revenue
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Ed View Post
    If 3 of us are out trolling with 6 lines and one of us limits out, do we have to pull in 2 of the lines while the guy with the limit sits on his hands for the rest of the trip? In Missouri while trout fishing in a boat, each man must have his own creel or stringer, no sharing. We only got a warning since we were out of state. Note: Dr. Ed will be dragging lines near "D" can again this Friday. Ch.71 or 68.
    NO for several reasons. Number 1, you can still catch and release....number 2 maybe you are fishing for another species. Just because you still have lines in the water doesn't mean you aren't fishing for sheaphead, steelhead, etc...

Now, I read on another forum that the incident that took place was a guy on a head boat hooking fish and then handing the rods off to his kids. Still a bunch of B.S. especially if it were kids involved but maybe I could see a slight point in case if it were a head boat situation.

I dunno...just seems like the DNR could do something alot more productive with their time than nit picking the crap out of everything. It's all a bunch of B.S.

Default clear explantion?

I guess where I am confused is what defines caughting a fish....is it the act of the hooking the fish.....or is it actually the reeling the fishing and bringing it on board.........or is it the combination of both? Cause if I have my 4 and I hook one can I hand it off to let someone else bring the fish in? I don’t see this being any different as in trolling....because the person reeling the fish in is not the person who hooked the fish. I AM ALL FOR DNR DOING THEIR JOB, HELPING TO PROTECT OUT GREAT WATERS SO THERE WILL BE PLENTY OF FISH FOR US ALL THE ENJOY FOR MANY YEARS I would be heartbroken if my children and nieces and nephews could not have the chance to enjoy these waters as I have over my years of growing up on the lake.

I really don’t see the actual big picture difference if 3 ppl get 4 fish each for a total of 12 or if 2 ppl get 5 and the third gets 2 its still 12 fish. But rules are the rules and I will follow them....

also when it comes to fun fishing which I do not do, how can if I have 4 fish for me on board can I be allowed to have that 5th fish on board at all. even if I turn it back loose, for those few minutes I would had technically brought my 5th fish out of the water which by the way this rule sounds like it is going to be enforced I would had broken it?

I know stuff like this has the potential to really put a strain on the sport charter services, and I think a very clear explanation and definition to the rule and what is considered caughting a fish should be in place before the DNR starts handing out tickets for this.

I understand the need for the rules, just would like a very clear explantion of them. I feel most of us want to follow the rules, but hard to follow when there is not clear explanation of them

I know me like alot of other ppl spent alot of money here in the area to enjoy out sport and hobby. I never have really added it up before, but I know I spend well over 5000 a year in fishing, boating, boat repairs and maintance, upgrades, gas, insurance, safety equipment, etc. And I know there are ppl who spend alot more than I do, this money does help boost the local economy. And i am not out to take take more than allowed and risk being part of the problem that help damage or distroys the water so that i would not be able to use all i have invested into. I know that if I got a ticket it would definatly make me think twice about partaking so much in the fishing side of things....is the few hundred extra dollars from ticket worth loosing the more extra money that spent each year on the other things.

why do some of us think it is ok to break this law but not to break another law? law is the law like it or not. if a guys gets to go to erie once a year and snags a fish and keeps it most want him to be fined. because he broke the law. but most guys feel it ok to brake this law because it "the boats limit" law states that each person my have daily bag limit. if i take my kid deer hunting should i be allowed to kill their deer for them? answer is no they must. This is no different just hasnt been enforced. now it is and be aware you may be held accountable for your actions if caught. don't get me wrong i blame no one for over harvasting fish. cant be to big a shortage if commercial fishing is still allowed. but i also dont look down on someone who snags one and keeps it either. i agree there are way to many laws right now, but we need to write our elected officials to make them aware of our thoughts. just my 2 cents worth.

Sleets, your compasion is wrong. You can't relate a deer to the eyes. I see nothing wrong witha father hooking an eye and giving the pole to his kid. This is what a father and son should be doing instead of the father hanging in bars and the kids running the streets. I see nothing wrong with boat limits. In fact i will only charter with captains that i know fish and give the eyes to the clients. This is how its been and should continue.

From what has been explained to me is, You can catch and release till you box your limit. I know, the bass fisherman do the catch/release all the time and it is a common practice with full limits in the box. But this year it seems you can be fined if caught still fishing after you have your limit in the livewell/box. I don't like it, but it is what is it. I was a bass guys for 20 yrs till switching to walleye. I'd bet they will be watching the perchers also this year. Limit and quit or you could be fined. So just don't keep that last one till your ready to quit.

Quote Originally Posted by Sleets View Post
    why do some of us think it is ok to break this law but not to break another law? law is the law like it or not. if a guys gets to go to erie once a year and snags a fish and keeps it most want him to be fined. because he broke the law. but most guys feel it ok to brake this law because it "the boats limit" law states that each person my have daily bag limit. if i take my kid deer hunting should i be allowed to kill their deer for them? answer is no they must. This is no different just hasnt been enforced. now it is and be aware you may be held accountable for your actions if caught. don't get me wrong i blame no one for over harvasting fish. cant be to big a shortage if commercial fishing is still allowed. but i also dont look down on someone who snags one and keeps it either. i agree there are way to many laws right now, but we need to write our elected officials to make them aware of our thoughts. just my 2 cents worth.
    As the poster above you put it, the question a lot of us want answered is what is the actual definition of catching a fish? And also are all officers aware of this definition or is it determined by the individual officer?

1. Putting or casting the line out?
    2. Playing the line in if casting or jigging?
    3. Hooking the fish?
    4. Reeling the fish in?
    5. Netting the fish?
    6. Taking the fish off the hook?
    7. Putting the fish in the live-well/cooler?

I am sure you can see why some of the above may not be performed by the individual who is taking credit for the fish, especially on a charter or headboat. In a trolling situation it is even harder since everybody normally works together to get all the lines out, and some people are not too comfortable in releasing the line from the clips so sometimes somebody else does that for them.

In the situation that brought this all up, a dad on a head boat was hooking the fish and then handing the rod to one of his kids to reel in. I don't know if you remember some of your first experiences fishing but I would bet for most of us it started pretty similar to that. What if your child gets tired on a big fish you can't help him at all? In the case in question last weekend I guess the definition was "3. hooking the fish", just something to think about. Granted there may be more to the story then what I read on a message board.

As for the hunting analogy, it sort of works but is way too easy since the act of shooting a deer is very definable. I am sure someone could break down each step of the act but I think most people would agree that pulling the trigger is the actual harvest.

Quote Originally Posted by miso_ohio View Post
    As the poster above you put it, the question a lot of us want answered is what is the actual definition of catching a fish? And also are all officers aware of this definition or is it determined by the individual officer?

1. Putting or casting the line out?
    2. Playing the line in if casting or jigging?
    3. Hooking the fish?
    4. Reeling the fish in?
    5. Netting the fish?
    6. Taking the fish off the hook?
    7. Putting the fish in the live-well/cooler?

I am sure you can see why some of the above may not be performed by the individual who is taking credit for the fish, especially on a charter or headboat. In a trolling situation it is even harder since everybody normally works together to get all the lines out, and some people are not too comfortable in releasing the line from the clips so sometimes somebody else does that for them.

In the situation that brought this all up, a dad on a head boat was hooking the fish and then handing the rod to one of his kids to reel in. I don't know if you remember some of your first experiences fishing but I would bet for most of us it started pretty similar to that. What if your child gets tired on a big fish you can't help him at all? In the case in question last weekend I guess the definition was "3. hooking the fish", just something to think about. Granted there may be more to the story then what I read on a message board.

As for the hunting analogy, it sort of works but is way too easy since the act of shooting a deer is very definable. I am sure someone could break down each step of the act but I think most people would agree that pulling the trigger is the actual harvest.
    Great points. And as far a live wells. How does the game officer know if your upgrading your fish? A lot of unknown.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by LOWE LIFE View Post
    I understand the need to have the ODNR. but with all these little BS regulations on fish, like leaving the skin on them and No more boat limits.Is getting a bit out of control...I never leave the skin on them and will continue to get our Boat limit.. I pay for both Ohio and Michigan tags, i don't take more then my legal limit, And the money i spend helps our local economy, Gas,bait, gear, Ect...When's the BS gonna stop?? their making rules just to give more tickets to the ppl who follow the fish limits and help the economy..Stick to finding the ppl who are using trebel hooks in waters where their illegal, and the guys fishing till their coolers are full..What's next??? every fish you catch you have to take a pic of it and send it to the DNR website??? If they need more money the they should have a car wash like the boyscouts do...Leave the good ppl who live on and love the lake alone..
    LOWE LIFE
    i wouldnt worry about it to much. if they have to sit in one spot for hours counting how many fish a single angler is putting into the cooler it then becomes counterproductive. They will only be able to enforce this b.s. when the action is hot and heavy and guys are pulling a limit in a short period of time. This will soon be abandoned for easier ways to rob the working man. Just my opinion.

Default Chillin

I agree with you.. It's gonna be just about impossible to enforce.. I guess i'm a rule breaker cause I'm gonna continue on doing as I have for many years..Some may not agree and that's O.K. I'm not looking for anyones approvel...I'm gonna go back to being like one of the hundreds of ppl on here who don't post anything.. Good luck and be Safe..
    LOWE LIFE

Default Thanks

what started all this junk is that a young kid who works on one of the party boats said on another site that guys were catching fish and passing them off to fill the boat limit. One guy caused the tip off and created this monster. Ohh,the power of the internet.