Head boat fishing Head boat fishing Head boat fishing Head boat fishing

Default Head boat fishing

Thinking of bringing my 8yr old up for some head boat fishing on the friday before easter. How do the headboats work? Do they set up over perch and your on your own or do they drift for walleye? Never been on one always a 6 man charter but cant swing the cost for just my son and I. Any input would be appreciated. Anyone recommend a good port clinton or near there head boat? Im driving from Cincinnati also.

Default Headboat

We went out on headboats for 20 yrs before we bought the Shelly J. Call the McCann's at Fishermans Wharf 419-734-9002 they are great and will tell you what they are doing and when.We caught many a limit of walleye and perch on the Miss Cindy.Have Fun Lee

I have done quite a bit of head boat fishing, sometimes it just makes good economic sense to take one if you really want to get out fishing. Now at that time in the year I imagine most will be walleye fishing all though you may find a couple that may have a perch boat or two going out.

For walleye:

In my experience, you pay for the boat and then get 2-3 dozen night-crawlers per person. Bring a good casting rod and some weight forward lures and some short crawler harnesses with some weight for them as well. They mostly do not anchor but sometimes they will but rarely. They do a drift and then go back and do it again with the sides of the boat swapped.

It is all about the underhand cast, keep up on your counts and don't be afraid to change colors. The most annoying part of walleye fishing on those boats is the people around you, the person next to you may have no clue and does not take advice very well. You got a great 15 count going and are catching fish, when you tell them green 15 count, they just ignore you and instead start casting in front of you basically cutting you off from fishing if you have people on both sides doing it. Then you have the people who just can't cast that will not give you any room to cast yourself as well.

I normally don't care on taking a head boat walleye trip unless I know they are really on or if the boat I am on will not be elbow to elbow people.

for perch:

This is what I prefer, pay for the boat trip and add $5 and they supply all the minnows you could use. Pretty much like a smaller boat, they head out and anchor down. They start the motors up from time to time to help trigger a bite and then also move around a bit to find the fish. The people next to you can make a bad trip as week but nowhere near to the level as they can on a walleye trip. The biggest issue you will have is when somebody from the other side of the boat lets way too much line out and it ends up tangling you every time you drift their way.

The biggest plus to a head boat is you can cull your catch if you are able to catch fish quicker then the people around you. You have your walleye or perch limit you just keep fishing. Every time you catch another fish you add it to your fish and take the smallest one out and throw it into the community pile. I have had a few trips we we left with a really, really nice limit of fish. I don't get to do it too much anymore but I was debating giving it a try this weekend if they are running.

Another option

Some of the charter boats on here will take walk on trips if they are not full. If you know the dates post them on here. Somebody may only have 4 people on a charter and they are willing to take 2 more to help with the costs. It normally averages out to not that much more then taking a head boat.
    Last edited by miso_ohio; 03-16-2012 at 09:13 AM. Reason: adding about charters here

Default big boats

Quote Originally Posted by rick2752 View Post
    Thinking of bringing my 8yr old up for some head boat fishing on the friday before easter. How do the headboats work? Do they set up over perch and your on your own or do they drift for walleye? Never been on one always a 6 man charter but cant swing the cost for justhatt my son and I. Any input would be appreciated. Anyone recommend a good port clinton or near there head boat? Im driving from Cincinnati also.
    If you plan on fishing that early with an 8 year old. Wow, that would be walleye jigging on the reefs for sure. 6-7 hour trips, you pay the fee, bring your own bait and rods. This is from my exp that an 8 year old may not do well being that early in the spring. I always tell customers that April jig time is for hearty fisherman. Its normally very cool, somewhat rough, and you can not predict that much in April. April is 50/50. I love April jig fishing, but not sure an 8 yr old would do well. This is from my exp.
    Capt. Greg Hoyt
    419-890-2555 cell #
    Anchors Away Marina
    [email protected]

Thanks everyone for your input. He LOVES to fish and just hang out with me. I was planning on watching the weather VERY closely. I don't want him to go out the first time and get sick and never want to fish on bigger water again. I do appreciate your input Greg. Maybe its just me that has the fever. We are planning a North Carolina trip in June and he wants to fish the ocean. My thoughts were that this would be a good test run. Do the head boats have an enclosed heated area?

Thanks everyone for your input. He LOVES to fish and just hang out with me. I was planning on watching the weather VERY closely. I don't want him to go out the first time and get sick and never want to fish on bigger water again. I do appreciate your input Greg. Maybe its just me that has the fever. We are planning a North Carolina trip in June and he wants to fish the ocean. My thoughts were that this would be a good test run. Do the head boats have an enclosed heated area?
    none that I have ever been on.

and as said before, everything you need you better bring, with the exception of a cooler for the fish, they will have ice and coolers, but you will need your stringer.

This includes snacks, water, beer, etc, on top of fishing gear.

Smile walk ons

Reel Sport charters offer both six pack and walk on charters,
    everything supplied, full eight hours or limit, Call Captain
    Mike Johnson 419 265 2736 for details, First trip is MARCH 24.

Drawbridge marina has 5 or 6 headboats. It's around $40 a person. Have caught a lot of limits with them over the years . They will put you on the fish !

Default big boats

Thinking of bringing my 8yr old up for some head boat fishing on the friday before easter. How do the headboats work? Do they set up over perch and your on your own or do they drift for walleye? Never been on one always a 6 man charter but cant swing the cost for just my son and I. Any input would be appreciated. Anyone recommend a good port clinton or near there head boat? Im driving from Cincinnati also.
    Those big boats are a whole new deal for people on the water. Big boats sway in the wave. This creates the sea sick thing . Those boats dont go in if somebody gets sick. I run a regular 6 person, 30ft Sportcraft and its alot different in the waves than a 50 ft. No heated area either. They have a roof on them is all. I supply all gear on my charters, all you need is a cooler to take fish home.Ya know for this time of year, the bite is hit or miss. Ya if the hit one day and you hear the report, it may be better or almost nothing the next day.
    My suggestion for an 8 year old is a perch trip on Erie in late summer.
    The ocean trip, if thats over summer it may be ok. As a Navy vet , the ocean has its own mind and the Cape Hatteras can be a rough one also.
    Give me a shout if you would like an talk more on Erie.
    Capt. Greg Hoyt
    419-890-2555 cell #
    Anchors Away Marina
    [email protected]