Pontoon Boat? Pontoon Boat? Pontoon Boat? Pontoon Boat?

Thread: Pontoon Boat?

joshc396 Guest

Cool Pontoon Boat?

New to Walleye Fishing and We are planning on fishing Central baisn and west to NY line. My question is we have a 22' family fisherman pontoon boat with a new 90 hp 4 stroke the boat runs great. Is it a good idea to use a pontoon boat to fish out in deeper water. Or show I start looking for a deep Vee boat.
    Also where is a good place to find a waterproof fishing map of this area?

Blog Entries

Pontoon boats make great family and party boats for rivers and inland lakes but are not recommended for Lake Erie. The lake can be dead calm one moment and can turn nasty with heavy seas in just minutes.

Here is a link to to some Lake Erie Maps. All are waterproof and quite useful, especially for fishermen new to Lake Erie.

http://www.walleyetacklestore.com/fihotspfima.html

See you out on the Lake. Fishing should be excellent in 2008.

joshc396 Guest

Default Thanks

Thank you for the reply. Not what I really wanted to hear but sometimes the truth hurts.

KenL Guest

Red face Another Small Boat Question

I own a 17 foot deep V boat with a 40hp tiller that I use to go Salmon and Perch fishing with on Lake Michigan.

I have to keep an eye on the weather reports and I have a few different protected launching areas that I choose based on the wind conditions.

If the weather looks as though it is going to turn bad, I can run at about
    35 mph if I need to.

I have been out on days where Lake Michigan has went from dead calm
    to 4 footers as well. I take it slow, trim my motor up and "moon shot"
    the boat through the waves until I reach a protected area or a safe harbor.

I am thinking about planning a trip to Lake Erie's Western Basin, probably somewhere West of Port Clinton and was wondering what time of year the walleyes are closest to shore so that I can still use my boat, yet be close enough to shore where I can head back safely if the weather starts to turn bad?

I really don't want to "wimp out" and change my plans to the Detroit River,
    but I could use some advice regarding what time of year to come, and
    recommendations for a launch site where I wouldn't need to run for 10 miles
    to get to the fish.

Any suggestions, or do you think that I am just nuts???

Your advice would be appreciated.

Thank you,
    Ken

Default Launch Site

I prefer Luna Pier, MI, but they dont open till April 15th. That's when it is happening good too in Maumee Bay for jigging. I would use this spot with a west wind for safety. With a south wind I would recommend Mienke Marina in Curtice, OH. or Fenwick Marina in Oak Harbor. Mienke puts you in protected water east of little cedar point and Fenwick gives you access to good shoals (1/2 mile in front of port) and the Reef complex on a good day.

Luna Pier, MI Exit 6 off I-75 go east 1/2 mile. Great spot. $5.00 daily and excellent fish cleaning station with scales. Approx 5-6 mile run

Mienke Marina, on Cordouroy Rd in Ohio. Take 75 south to 280 south to Oregon Rd. Go east approx 10 miles to Teachout Rd. Go north till it dead ends on Cordouroy. Turn Rt and follow signs. Two bait stores right there. I prefer Szuchs Bait (he supplies the charters), but its all good. Public Launch, but no fish cleaning station. Approx 0-4 mile run

Fenwick Marina, Oak Harbor, OH. Same as Mienke but stay on Route 2 approx15 miles. Go past Fenwick Marina sign to Happy Hooker Bait. Good info. Go back to Fenwick and put in. Very protected and fish cleaning station. $5.00 daily launch fee. Approx 0-4 mile run

Jigging is primary method in april, casting in may or drifting, trolling anytime you want. Watch the weather and have a great time.

C Ya on the Water

Plain and simple, You may get away with fishing a Pontoon on Erie. But the day will come when you will wish you had NOT. The question is will you surive that day??

Keep the pontoon off Lake Erie, maybe the Bay. But not the lake.