New Law New Law New Law New Law
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Law

Default New Law

At the captains conference yesterday the odnr told us about there new law on cleaning fish.. this is what they said. From now on you have to leave all fish either whole or with the filet in one piece with the entire skin still attached until you get to the residence that is on you're fishing licience. Please check you're regulations for this new rule. They said if they would come to camper and find fish with no skin and the fish were not a whole filet it would be a ticket. I don't know what the fish cleaners are going to do. (Scale walleye like perch) what's pure opinion on this new rule?

New way to get some money from people.
    Just stretching lines

Default fish skin, etc

Quote Originally Posted by skipper9 View Post
    At the captains conference yesterday the odnr told us about there new law on cleaning fish.. this is what they said. From now on you have to leave all fish either whole or with the filet in one piece with the entire skin still attached until you get to the residence that is on you're fishing licience. Please check you're regulations for this new rule. They said if they would come to camper and find fish with no skin and the fish were not a whole filet it would be a ticket. I don't know what the fish cleaners are going to do. (Scale walleye like perch) what's pure opinion on this new rule?
    ODNR did mention later on in the meeting that they would accept a 1" x 1" spot of skin left on the each fillet. Its for ID reasons of course. They have had plenty of issues they face with overbagging and etc. that this is one way to try and prevent some illegal activities. The ODNR will be posting signs at fish cleaning stations along the lake that states the new law. Makes the fish cleaning task a little tough. I think they mentioned that each fillet should stay in one piece and not to zipper them either. Going to Canada rules change every year, TWIC cards will probably be gone by next year. Glad I wasted my money on that 5 years ago. Seems everytime I entered my marina I was asked by everybody to see my TWIC card ( sarcastic ). Most people have no idea what a TWIC card is. $133 card I was told to buy. The I68 forms may only last one more year or so. A new thing will replace that. Private boaters should check the laws before you think about crossing the line to Canuck waters. If you are from Ohio and fish in Canadian waters, you do not have to buy an Ohio lic. You should only have the allowed limits of fish for Ohio when entering your marina. The last thing is that the Ohio limits for walleye and perch will be announced to the public by mid April for the rest of the season. Remember the TAC post from awhile back. No ice ice my marina and no docks in yet either.
    Capt. Greg Hoyt
    419-890-2555 cell #
    Anchors Away Marina
    [email protected]

Angry

Just means more work to do when u get home. What will our great state come up with next!

Default mo money

Quote Originally Posted by Gettin Jiggy View Post
    Just means more work to do when u get home. What will our great state come up with next!
    Didnt somebody say. " More Money". I doubt that the fish skin law will be welcomed with sharp knives. I guess it will depend on how bad the game warden wants to write a ticket that day.
    Capt. Greg Hoyt
    419-890-2555 cell #
    Anchors Away Marina
    [email protected]

Greg, the odnr did say that there was no size limit on the skin. But later during questions he said it had to have skin on the whole filet. I thought it was gonna be like Canada bit he clarified and said no. It had to be a whole filet with the whole skin attached. I sat next to the guy asking the question.

Greg, the odnr did say that there was no size limit on the skin. But later during questions he said it had to have skin on the whole filet. I thought it was gonna be like Canada bit he clarified and said no. It had to be a whole filet with the whole skin attached. I sat next to the guy asking the question.
    Here is a copy and paste of the regulation in question from the ODNR web site. IT says that exactly. The fillet must be Whole and the skin must be attached or the fish must be in the whole!

It is illegal to possess fish in any form other than whole or cut
    into complete fillets with skin attached when fishing from shore,
    or a boat, or unloading fish from a boat on any waters where a
    fishing license is required until the angler reaches their permanent
    residence. It is legal to transport fish whole or as fillets with
    the skin attached while returning from the Lake Erie Islands on a
    commercial ferry boat. Frozen fish must be transported in a way
    the fillets can be easily identified and counted.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

Quote Originally Posted by Gettin Jiggy View Post
    I live in my camper part of the summer and freeze my catch and then transport them home maybe once a week. The skin on part does not bother me that much for the fish that I am bringing home. But what about the fish that I want to consume while staying at my camper. More often than not on the weekend we eat at least part of the fish that we catch right after cleaning them. This law will be hard to enforce and once in your freezer inside your camper they would need a search warrant to legally search it, an exception would be if they saw you carry in your catch and that would give them probable cause to search it. Your storage shed will not qualify as part of your home and could possibly be legally searched without a warrant if fish are stored in a freezer in your shed but I am unsure about that.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

Quote Originally Posted by wakina View Post
    I live in my camper part of the summer and freeze my catch and then transport them home maybe once a week. The skin on part does not bother me that much for the fish that I am bringing home. But what about the fish that I want to consume while staying at my camper. More often than not on the weekend we eat at least part of the fish that we catch right after cleaning them. This law will be hard to enforce and once in your freezer inside your camper they would need a search warrant to legally search it, an exception would be if they saw you carry in your catch and that would give them probable cause to search it. Your storage shed will not qualify as part of your home and could possibly be legally searched without a warrant if fish are stored in a freezer in your shed but I am unsure about that.
    This law was put in place for the problem areas. Sort of like
    probable cause. It is stated in the new fishing laws pamphlet. Fish you intend to eat, say that day, odnr ok'd that you can have clean fillets without skin. It is a big change and will be a tough one for people to accept.
    Capt. Greg Hoyt
    419-890-2555 cell #
    Anchors Away Marina
    [email protected]

So this is not just walleye but any fish? It is going to suck to clean perch, I always skin them since I don't want to mess with scaling them.