Ice conditions Ice conditions Ice conditions Ice conditions

Thread: Ice conditions

Post Ice conditions

I am new to the area and new to ice fishing. I have read some reports on ice fishing on lake Erie. Is there any safe ice out there now. I have seen some reports around Cranes Creek i believe. I do not have a snowmobile or ATV so I would be looking for an area that has walleye's but do not have to go out very far dragging the equipment. Any help would be appreciated.

Exclamation No Safe Ice

The weather has not been friendly this year to us ice fisherman. It's OK though. I dont get nervous till Feb 15th. Trends the last few years have shown that date till early March seems best. Crane Creek is a great spot. It was last year. We were out 3.25 miles @ 60 degrees. I would wait till we get some reports from this year prior to walking out. Let the experienced guys go 1st and then there will be a trail for you to follow safely. Get yourself an Otter Sled to put your auger, poles, tackle, bait, & scoop in. It's allot easier to pull it than carry all your stuff. FYI you may want to get an 8" auger. It can be a challenge pulling an eye through a 4" or even 6" hole.

Angry Ice Update

Fellas, It's not looking good! The last 40-50 mph west winds dropped the lake level 6 ft. The ice around the islands broke off & when the second blow from the east moved in? It really tore it up. Tomarrow (Sunday 2/10) they are talking about another blow from the west with up to 45 Knot gusts. I still have my fingers crossed for the end of March, but starting to visit small lakes and ponds for panfish.

Everybody say a prayer for the wind to stop blowing & we get a alberta clipper with soft gentle breezes & -12 degree nights.

C Ya on the water

Thumbs up Your Prayers Worked

Thanks guys. Get ready!