Ice conditions Ice conditions Ice conditions Ice conditions
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Ice conditions

Post Thanks / Like

Post Ice conditions

I am new to the area and new to ice fishing. I have read some reports on ice fishing on lake Erie. Is there any safe ice out there now. I have seen some reports around Cranes Creek i believe. I do not have a snowmobile or ATV so I would be looking for an area that has walleye's but do not have to go out very far dragging the equipment. Any help would be appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation No Safe Ice

The weather has not been friendly this year to us ice fisherman. It's OK though. I dont get nervous till Feb 15th. Trends the last few years have shown that date till early March seems best. Crane Creek is a great spot. It was last year. We were out 3.25 miles @ 60 degrees. I would wait till we get some reports from this year prior to walking out. Let the experienced guys go 1st and then there will be a trail for you to follow safely. Get yourself an Otter Sled to put your auger, poles, tackle, bait, & scoop in. It's allot easier to pull it than carry all your stuff. FYI you may want to get an 8" auger. It can be a challenge pulling an eye through a 4" or even 6" hole.

Post Thanks / Like

Angry Ice Update

Fellas, It's not looking good! The last 40-50 mph west winds dropped the lake level 6 ft. The ice around the islands broke off & when the second blow from the east moved in? It really tore it up. Tomarrow (Sunday 2/10) they are talking about another blow from the west with up to 45 Knot gusts. I still have my fingers crossed for the end of March, but starting to visit small lakes and ponds for panfish.

Everybody say a prayer for the wind to stop blowing & we get a alberta clipper with soft gentle breezes & -12 degree nights.

C Ya on the water

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Your Prayers Worked

Thanks guys. Get ready!