'B' Can Perch 'B' Can Perch 'B' Can Perch 'B' Can Perch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 'B' Can Perch

Default 'B' Can Perch

Three of us caught our limit two days in a row about a mile north of 'B' Can. I have learned, thanks to other posts, that no "bling" spreaders or plain hooks with a split shot are the way to go. It made about a 3:1 difference over my buddies who refused to try it.

Question Try a 1/2 minnow as well.

Did you ever try cutting your minnow in half ? Yeah cut it in half sometimes it works to get picky fish to bite. I don't know if its just the size or if it puts oil or something in water faster but it works. And you will miss less bites because the fish is going to have the hook in his mouth if he bites it.

thats what we do and it works great for us.

Smile tough perch bite

we use half minnow all the time with live one also, just keep them small, frozen ones work, trick to better bites and bigger perch, is single hook, 12 to 16 inch lead one bead on line,
    chartuse, white or dark red is best, keep it on the bottom with a little slack line and lift gently, perch will swallow or lip hook
    almost every time. sinker size is important, finky fish small sinker or even split shots, heavy waves or fast bitters 1 ounces sinker, just meets their needs.
    Capt. Mike and Wayne, Reel Sport Charters

Do any of you guys ever use salted shiners? With success?

Default Minnows

Never tried salted minnows? But I have used frozen minnows. They work but get mushy and come off the hook more easily than live minnows. One more thing I sometimes do if all else fails . I take an small extra anchor with me and bounce it on the bottom to stir things up down there. This can sometimes make them bite. Sometimes right away sometimes you have to wait a little bit. It don't always work but if you are not catching its worth a try.. Good Luck

Smile perch trick

one thing we always due is to keep engine running in idel speed,
    bite gets good shut off engine , bite slow down start engine up again, works everytime.

Talking Things to do

I know one thing that we always do and that is to pull out our money go to the store and buy some perch. For some reason that always works.

Default ????

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger1 View Post
    I know one thing that we always do and that is to pull out our money go to the store and buy some perch. For some reason that always works.
    How much fun is that?

What Wayne said - idle engine.

I also believe that the half minnow works best once the fish start bitting. I believe this is because the fish that you are reeling in are trying to spit the hook and therefore are spitting out minnows they have already eaten and these fall to the bottom. Other fish come along and eat these minnow pieces and if you are using a half minnows it looks just like another piece of minnow to be eaten.