Tough Fishing Yesterday Tough Fishing Yesterday Tough Fishing Yesterday Tough Fishing Yesterday

Default Tough Fishing Yesterday

Well,I made my 5th trip up to the lake yesterday.Went out of Turtle Creek at 7AM and headed out to West Sister.Fished hard until 10AM with nothing to show for our effort{4 hardcore fishermen} except sheepshead.We fished harnesses on the bottom and anywhere from a 10-20 count.Moved to Flat Rock Reef and lost a nice walleye next to the boat and I lost count on the # of sheepshead we caught.Moved out to Niagara and picked up a channel cat and a nice yellow perch but no walleye.We quit at 3PM.Fish in cooler--2 channel cats and 1 yellow perch.What is wrong with this picture.I have made 5 trips to the lake this year and have only put 5 walleyes in the boat HELP!@!!!!!

Default fish were high

You were fishing to deep. 2 of us caught 8 at Niagra fishing in the top 10 feet of water.

Default Right on average

You are right on my average.... we have made 3 trips and have 3 walleye in boat....so right there at one per trip with you. Everyone says it is going to get better...still waiting...

Default Tough day fishing

Thanks for the tip eyezcrazy.I didn't think they would be that high in the water column.I was marking fish under the boat all day but I guess we were fishing to deep.All tips are greatly appreciated.

Same here. 5 guys fishing harnesses hard and only 2 all day and they were out from West Reef. Just curious what you got them on eyecrazy. We fished Niagra for 3 hours in the morning with no eyes. Dad and I were do all counts, slow reeling and burning and couldn't get any eyes at Niagra. Curious about the depth around Niagra you were fishing also. The sheep are definitely on the bottom though.

Default Niagra

We caught ours on spoons and the presentation had to be fast 2.5 mph. We were directly on the East face of the green can in 25 to 27 fow and kept tight circling back where the active fish were. We fished the deep side right where the reef started up and if we started getting too shallow, like 21 feet, we moved back out. I think time of day was probably the most important, as we caught most of our fish after 5:00 pm. It was pretty flat too by evening and the fish were still active.

Thanks Eyecrazy! Trollers seem to do a lot better than casters right now.

Quote Originally Posted by walleye2go View Post
    Thanks Eyecrazy! Trollers seem to do a lot better than casters right now.
    In the mid 50's trolling was the preferred method to fish for eyes. The water was clear, really clear and you could see bottom in 10 ft of water on all the reefs. If you can imagine the mayflies being worse than now rest assured they were alot worse in the 50's, Port Clinton used snow plows to pile them up and loaded them on dump trucks with end loaders to be hauled away. Please ask the older crowd around Port Clinton and get the answer if you have doubts about how bad they were. When the water became clouded in the 60's that is when the drift and cast method became popular, now that it is cleared up alot the trolling method makes it easier to catch fish as you can move your lines away from the boat with planer boards and target those boat shy eyes as they move away from the boat even the shadow of a drifting boat can and will spook Erie eyes.

DID WELL TROLLING AROUND THE REEF...NO GPS SO I DONT KNOW WHAT SPPED I WAS AT...DO KNOW THAT ONE SPOON DID BETTER THAN OTHERS...I THINK IT WAS COTTON CANDY,,,,SAD THING IS LOST THE SPOON AND JET ON THE REEF....NOT WATCHING WHERE I WAS GOT TO CLOSE TO REEF ,,,A 30 JET IN 8 FOOT OF WATER...WELL U CAN GUESS WHAT HAPPENED NEXT......WHAT A MESS.....DID GET THE LITTLE BOARD BACK....

Default Saturday report

On Saturday, 3 guys 5 walleye trolling 30 Trip Z jets at 40 ft back on small boards north west of West Sister in 27 to 29 feet of water. Speed was 1.7 miles per hour, best color was chicken wing. Fish size was good, just not enough of them. Few junk fish but not bad. Four of the 5 fish were caught on the outside boards.