Put in bay "SMALLIES" Put in bay "SMALLIES" Put in bay "SMALLIES" Put in bay "SMALLIES"
    fishinbigskis Guest

Default Put in bay "SMALLIES"

Does any one have any info on what types of lures to use for smallies the week of May 12th for around the islands. We are going for Walleye for the week & by the sound of it we will have some extra time on our hands / be limiting out on the eyes and thought we would try a litlle C&R on the smallies. Any info would be appreciated.

Thx & c ya on the water!!

Default smallies baits

I like dark gray grubs and tubes snackdaddy tubes in light green with silver flake also. I dead stick the tubes on a good drift day and jig or fish them carolina style. fish the big bay on the east side look for the monument it is on the open water side not in the bay. start in 6ft and work your way out to 20 or start deep and drift to shallow water to find fish.

jbrown Guest

I also prefer to use tube baits. Usually I go with a smoke/red flake or black/red flake color, but pretty much any dark color will work. I know a lot of people pay the big bucks for soft craws but I just dont think its worth it. Especially since the sheephead will eat most of them. The east side of the island is a good spot to try. You also may want to look into the south side. The water stays fairly deep up close to the island there... 15-20 feet. Out by Rattlesnake island is usually good too. Not sure what kind of sonar you have but if the resolution is good enough, try to locate the areas of cobblestone. There are large areas of flat bedrock around the islands that hold virtually no fish... but there are "belts" of cobble mixed in, thats where the smallies stack up. Find those and youll find the fish. Ive scuba dived around put in bay so Ive seen the fish better than the under water cameras can. There are some real lunkers down there! Good luck and have fun.

fishinbigskis Guest

Thanks forthe info. I wil post how we did. Yes an actual fishing report.