Water Dogs~ Perch Report Water Dogs~ Perch Report Water Dogs~ Perch Report Water Dogs~ Perch Report
Page 39 of 59 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast

Default Sunday and Monday ( 9-16 & 17)

SUNDAY (9-16-18)
    Had a late start and a few hours south of G can, and could only get 6 yellow perch.
    Sheep head, throw backs, small walleye and a large catfish.

MONDAY (9-17-18)
    30 yellow perch, same area south of G can.
    Several head boats in the area and they left to go north.
    Was not fast but still fun, 5 hours to get them.
    6 throw backs, more young walleye, and some more sheep head.

Golden shiners, spreaders, on the bottom and never any bling.

Hope to get out again on Tuesday,
    ~tight lines~
    Water Dog

I found that Fri, Sat, and Sunday that I only caught a few before 8 and then they started hitting good from 8-930 then slowed down.

Way to go. Thanks for report. Will finally get back out tomorrow, Tuesday after to long a dry spell. G is a little run from Turtle Creek, may try L can first.

Strange day. Two of us started Tues morning about 8:30 at crib reef based on several reports. Good marks, but nothing but gobies. Made short move. More gobies. Made another move to deeper water. Out of gobies, but not into perch. Thanks to Golden Eagle heard report of slow pick at D can. Ran towards there. Stopped well short of it and searched. Marks but no perch. Was by then 10-30 to 11 AM and had yet to catch our first perch. Finally made the move all the way to D and set up west of pack on some promising marks. Finally a few perch, but very slow pick. About 12-12:30ish we had maybe 18 but then the wind died, lake went flat, and it got hotter than heck. This is it I thought. We're done.

Cast my skipper 9 rig out on my dead stick and by chance laid it down with bail open to let it drop. Decided to check my second rod. Cranked it up and missing some bait so re-bated (took a couple minutes to cut goldies and freshen 3 hooks) and tossed it out, again with bail open to let it sink. Picked up first rod to tighten the line after it had laid for several minutes. Woah, had a nice double on. Took them off, re-baited, and tossed that first rod out - again with bail open - and let it drop and lay. Picked up second rod that had also been laying, to tighten that line. Woah, another double. Repeated re-baiting process and then picked up the first rod that had been laying on bottom for several minutes a second time. Woah, another very nice perch!

At this point I told my buddy to give that a try. He opened his bail, let the bait go flat and undisturbed for several minutes. Woah, first time he picked his up, had another double. It was on! For the next hour and a half or so we fished exclusively that way and - on a table top flat, scorching hot, full sun mid-afternoon - went from 18 fish to a nice 60 fish limit. They only wanted it on the bottom, undisturbed, for several minutes! You couldn't buy a bite any other way. Hold the rod they wouldn't touch it. Put it in a holder, even if it was hanging only one inch off the bottom, they wouldn't touch it. Slow lift, nothing. But just leave it lay out there for a while, and tighten up and they were already hooked! (Did have more than usual gut hooks...)

Dangest hour or so I can remember in a while. The 60 went 19# at cleaners, so not as big as have been getting but still 3 to a pound and nice uniform fat fish. We didn't have any 11's but also didn't keep anything less than 8+ except for a couple gut hooks. Thanks again to Golden Eagle for giving us the tip. And boy was that last hour hot!
    Last edited by LEfriend; 09-18-2018 at 07:38 PM.

Default Saturday 9/29/18

Water Dogs~ Perch Report-img_0502-jpgWater Dogs~ Perch Report-img_0504-jpg

South of G can today, some wind in the morning and bouncy but it did settle down.
    nice perch, some throwback perch and walleye, and some sheep head.
    spreaders and a golden/shiner mix
    fished 3 hours and there were many boats west of me and some head boats north of H can

I had been out three time before today and only could manage 8, 10 and 14 perch in the G can area.

Back at it soon, weather permitting
    ~Water Dog

Waterdog, glad to see you back and with a limit! Nice lookin fish stick you have there.

Yes it has been tough! Was the water any clearer today?

Default 30 more yellow gold Sunday 9/30/18

G can in the same area as yesterday, 4 hours and done.
    some hits were light and some were slammers~!
    throw back perch and walleye, they really eat up your bait bucket and only one sheep head
    had a mix of golden/shiners
    seems like they are going to be in the area now and I hope they stay
    ~Water Dog

Hey WD I am coming out of.tousaint tomorrow lookin at this map I have there is a g can south just outside of th range danger zone and another further north which are.u fishing I appreciate the help.
    Thanks Matt

If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishing Addiction View Post
    Hey WD I am coming out of.tousaint tomorrow lookin at this map I have there is a g can south just outside of th range danger zone and another further north which are.u fishing I appreciate the help.
    Hi Matt.
    Going NE, from Camp Perry pier it is H can, G can , then F can, I have a photo of this range map on this web site, see waterdog's photo album.
    Good luck~! wind and waves today is NE 1-3, too bouncy for this old man.

Quote Originally Posted by waterdog View Post
    G can in the same area as yesterday, 4 hours and done.
    some hits were light and some were slammers~!
    throw back perch and walleye, they really eat up your bait bucket and only one sheep head
    had a mix of golden/shiners
    seems like they are going to be in the area now and I hope they stay
    ~Water Dog
    Gd-morn Water Dog, Iv'e been missing your post, have you been out lately? Or have you called it for the season?