Wind Speed and Wave Height Wind Speed and Wave Height Wind Speed and Wave Height Wind Speed and Wave Height
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rusty Guest

Default Wind Speed and Wave Height

Hey all, hoping you can help a rookie out! Lets assume we're talking about a N or NE wind since I'm thinking those would like be the toughest to navigate. Can someone give me an idea of wave height from say 15 and 20 Mph avg. winds? It appears that is what we'll be facing Saturday morning. I'm guessing a 15 mph wind would likely be in the 3 foot range? Fishing with a 23 foot v-hull. I know there may be a lot of variables but just trying to get an idea.

Thanks for any/all input! Dying to get on the water.

Jperch Guest

Default Wind

Rusty,

I am in the same situation with the wind. I have a 19FT deep V and always watch the winds. Lake a look at this site and you can change the location up top. http://www.windguru.cz/int/index.php?sc=105
    Looks like Sunday will be the better day.
    Sat - WNW 15-20
    Sun - E then SE 5-10
    I'm sure the locals can give us a better feel for the wind and size for this weekend?

Jack

fbcoachfisherman Guest

In My Opinion. (western basin)

Northeast/East is the worst, North 2nd worst, Northwest 3rd worst. The waves for the NOAA is so tough to predict. As of now (thurs) Sat. looks to be improving. My source says SW going to W here in the western basin with the winds laying down to 10 knots or less as the day goes on. South wind the best, SW 2nd best, West 3rd best.

10-20 from the E, NE, N are gonna get you 2 to 4 for sure, just how it works. But, you never know, NOAA updates around every 6 to 8 hours. I've seen them change 3 to 4 times in day. Tough to predict.

Default Another good site

Here is another good site that I personally use. If you are looking for weekend updates it is updated by Thursday.

http://www.wunderground.com/MAR/lmm.html

ERIE REBEL1 Guest

fbcoachfisherman has it nailed dead on.NE is the absolute worst.15-20out of that direction will definitely give you two to fours with an occasional five or six thrown in just for the heck of it.Look at a total map of the top half of Ohio and you will understand why.Straight North or Northwest isn't near as bad but will get your attention.You just have to take your time and learn how to deal with what Mother Erie throws at you.Personally twenty miles an hour out of the N.E.I'm Staying home

Jperch Guest

Default Wind

Erie Rebel,

Looks like a West wind 15-20 for Saturday and Sunday looks good so far. That should be a perfect walleye chop? West is an OK wind? I better try and be there this weekend instead of trying to wait until next week.

fbcoachfisherman Guest

As usual the forecast has changed 875 times. Tough to predict. As of now you are gettting south going to west later. You will fine. Watch the thunderstorms.

bulloka Guest

what erie rebel said.heavy northeast wind makes for a bumpy day.i'm staying in tomorrow and back on sunday

fbcoachfisherman Guest

As of now, Sunday is much better than Saturday via the forecast. I live three miles off the lake here in Oregon. The wind has really settled down as of now 8:30. Maybe 10 knots or less. Don't know what the overnight will bring, but it is much improved here since earlier today.

Rusty Guest

Thumbs up

Thanks Coach! That's good news. Barring 4-5 footers from the north we'll be on the water at daybreak tomorrow!! Good luck to all heading out this weekend and to a safe trip!