Taking Charter out of Wild Wings May 9+10 Taking Charter out of Wild Wings May 9+10 Taking Charter out of Wild Wings May 9+10 Taking Charter out of Wild Wings May 9+10
    waugeye Guest

Default Taking Charter out of Wild Wings May 9+10

Hello All,
    I am an Eerie virgin. I've booked a Charter on "Eerie Drifter" with Captain Tom Straus for May 9th and 10th. Captain Tom and his boat was on the cover of Great Lakes Angler Magazine a few months back; you may have seen it. Anyways I am very anxious about getting out on Eerie for some serious walleye action. We will be leaving out of Wild Wings Marina. Cap'n Tom says the bite should really be on in the next couple of weeks. The plan is to drift fish and make casts near "The Cans".
    I primarily fish walleye/sauger in my local river "The Kaskaskia" and my primary bait is a jig and twister tail or crank bait (wally diver, shad rap, f-13 husky jerks). The water here is not deep 8' avg in spring 4'-6' in summer.

My questions are:
    Will the bite be on for Mother's Day weekend?
    What depth of water will we most likely be fishing?
    What kind of baits will we be throwing?

Also a few questions about liscensing. I have checked the regs and did not see anything about a great lakes salmon stamp required for the taking of Trout or Salmon. I have fished Lake Michigan for the past five years and I know a Great Lakes Salmon Stamp is required to take any Trout or Salmon. Is this something that is unique to Lake Michigan? Or did I overlook the regulation in the guidebook? The reason I aski is that the Charter we booked guarantees a full 8hrs fishing. If we limit out early, as I have read in some of the reports, we may go after some Rainbows, or maybe some catch and release Smallies (I do know they are illegal to keep while we will be there).

I appreciate any help.

Thanks,
    Waugeye.

bulloka Guest

If I were you,I would get the "8 full hours clarified" up front.It's not that the charter captains will cheat you in any way,but typically,on lake erie,when you're done with walleye you go in unless you have the talk up front.
    I wouldn't count on doing any trout or salmon fishing in the western basin,which is where you will be.Too shallow,although,you get an occasional lost steelhead.
    You will probably be in 15-25' of water,all according to how late this spawn continues and the males hang around.
    He will use harnesses and or weight forward spinners tipped with a piece of nightcrawler.You might even use some bottom bouncers.No wind and you may troll.The captains will know where to go,so you shouldn't have a problem getting your fish,weather permitting.
    good fishing

ERIE REBEL1 Guest

By all means make sure you get your full time that you have paid for.I saw quite a few charters back in early because the fishing nearshore this last weekend was great.Once you have your limit and the bite is good I always fish for fun just to feel that little tic at the other end of the line.

catchin Guest

i JUST FISHED OUT OF THE AREA 4-19...WALLEYES WERE HITTING THE BARE/HAIR JIGS LIKE IT WAS THE ONLY FOOD OUT THERE.ALL 22-26 IN. AND FAT.DRIFTED THE CANS, SEVERAL REEFS..LOTS OF BOATS.WATER GOT FLAT BY MID DAY, NO DRIFT SO WE QUIT WITH OUR LIMITS.ANYONE KNOW WHERE TO LAUNCH PRIVATE BOAT IN THE WILD WINGS MARINA ?

waugeye Guest

I have had the talk with the Captain about the Eight hour trip. He guaranteed me a full eight up front. He seems like a real stand up guy. he never books more than one trip a day.

It sounds like we are going to time it right then. Pitching jigs and spinners is right up my alley, so I like the sound of that.

Thanks guys,
    Tight lines and screeming drags,
    Waugeye.