Northland Whistler Jigs Northland Whistler Jigs Northland Whistler Jigs Northland Whistler Jigs
    TMAC Guest

Smile Northland Whistler Jigs

Anyone do much good using the Northland Whistler Jigs on Eyes? I'm going to try them out on the lake this May and wanted to know anyones experience with them concerning technique, color recommendations, live bait and artificial trailers.

Of course anyone with other jig tactics are welcome to recommend or share their favorite style/techniques.

Thanks.

TMAC Guest

Also I wanted to mention typically on good condition days what weight to go with. I'm assuming the lightest as you can. Given that... I've purchased 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2 oz. whistler jigs. I plan on using 8-10# mono line for jigging.

Not new to this style of fishing. Long time Saugeye fan of Southern Ohio just starting to live the dream of getting on Lake Erie on a more consistant basis. Coming out of East Harbor Tibbels Marina. Thanks.
    Last edited by TMAC; 02-02-2008 at 02:33 PM.

Smile Whistle while you work

They look attractive. Color, Vibration appeal. I would use them in april though. The spawn usually winds down in early May. Water Temp goes above 52 degrees. We usually are throwing weight forwards in mid may or trolling to cover more ground. I often troll just to find the fish, then cast for them. On a good day though when you mark em on the bottom we have jigged them up many a time in May & June, but they need to be on the bottom to jig properly. Try to come up mid april if you get a chance and get a true spawn jig fish in though. It can be an incredible day. Catching 40-50 fish in 4 hours is not uncommon. It is also a good idea to talk with the bait store to see what been hot as far as lures go. I always grab one or two each stop. Now I have so many I confuse myself. Good Luck.

Remember the air temp is always the same as the water temp. Dress warm cuz you can always take it off.

C Ya on the water

Default swim baits

I've been watching in-fisherman and think I will try swim baits this year just to switch things up.5 inch swim shad bodies with a 1/2 ounce head.you can swim it back or jig it.might also produce some smallies on the reefs

TMAC Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jiginitis69 View Post
    They look attractive. Color, Vibration appeal. I would use them in april though. The spawn usually winds down in early May. Water Temp goes above 52 degrees. We usually are throwing weight forwards in mid may or trolling to cover more ground. I often troll just to find the fish, then cast for them. On a good day though when you mark em on the bottom we have jigged them up many a time in May & June, but they need to be on the bottom to jig properly. Try to come up mid april if you get a chance and get a true spawn jig fish in though. It can be an incredible day. Catching 40-50 fish in 4 hours is not uncommon. It is also a good idea to talk with the bait store to see what been hot as far as lures go. I always grab one or two each stop. Now I have so many I confuse myself. Good Luck.

Remember the air temp is always the same as the water temp. Dress warm cuz you can always take it off.

C Ya on the water
    Thanks for the good advice. I appreciate it. I was hoping after we got on some fish using weight forward rigs to throw these jigs at them. Possibly use the smallest weight possible as to swim it back through suspending fish. Otherwise as you've advised if you can pick them up staging on the bottom. I might have better luck with them if I can avoid the sheepshead.

TMAC Guest

That's what I was kind of hoping to try and do with these BigWally. Just try and swim them back once we find a few in the area.

Default drifting

in the spring with a good drift you wouldnt even have to retrieve,just cast and pull bouncing the bottom.I'm sure the way the fish are stacked up in the spring there are any number of ways to catch them.with purple hair jigs tipped with minnows,last year there were days we had a limit in an hour or two and threw sometimes 50 or 60 back.I just like to try new things.last year I also drifted slip floats with a power leech on a small jig head that had a spinner.I guess thats what makes it fun seeing how many different ways you can catch them