New type diver New type diver New type diver New type diver
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New type diver

Default New type diver

Has anyone tried the Tadpole made by Off Shore tackle,sounds like it would be perfect for Erie trolling. look up off shore tackle, type in tadpole,it even shows you the dive curve,see what you guys think, before I buy some. Thanks, PAP

Seems to take alot of line to get to 30 ft vs a jet 40, the price seems to be on the good side as compared to the other divers. I use jet 40s but I don't like to have them drag the fish on the surface like they do, I have lost to many fish that way. I personally would buy a jet 40 that didn't turn over vs one that does and fight the diver and fish together, those big walleyes come unbuttoned easy enough without helping them by dragging them on the surface. So that is my point about the xtra line to depth ratio, it would be at least 40 ft further from the boat at 30ft depth which to me would be unacceptable. Now if that diver does not plain to the surface but just becomes neutral bouyant then I could become very interested. I posted the link to the tappole.

http://www.offshoretackle.com/resett...g_weights.html

Default wakina

When you said they bring the fish to the surfass, did you use the tadpole or are you just thinking thats what will happen, if that is the case then I will stay with the jets, thanks for your input every little bit of info from the locals helps tight lines to you,pap!!!!!

It was only an assumption on my part that they plane to the surface when tripped due to their shape. I actually have no idea if they plane up to the surface when tripped or not, there was very little useable information on their web page besides the diving curve provided by the Precision Trolling Bible. It would probably be prudent to contact Offshore and ask them that way we will know for sure.
    Last edited by wakina; 03-23-2011 at 07:13 AM.

They apparently move to the surface as this states they rise once tripped. Here is an article posted on their web page where it states that they rise in the water once tripped.

http://www.offshoretackle.com/graphi...erArticles.pdf

In the following information it states that it takes 160 ft of line out to reach 28ft or 31ft of depth depending on the size tadpole used, that would be at least 60ft more than a jet 40 to reach 31ft and about 60 ft more than a jet 30 to reach 28ft. Following is a quote from the link provided below.

Quote{Q. I saw your add for tadpole weights and would like some more information on them. What are the two weights and how big are they? What depth ranges would they get a crankbait down to?

A. The Tadpoles are called OR36 1 (Size 1) and OR36 2 (Size 2). We don't go by weight; the depth for them is about 28' for the Size 1 and 31 for the Size 2 with 160' of line out. This is at 1.5 mph and is only about 10% less at 2.5 mph. Both were designed for stickbaits, spoons and spinners but time will tell how they react to big lipped cranks. I recommend putting a different length of line out and letting the fish tell you which is right. The same is true of the OR20 Pro Weight System.} END QUOTE

http://www.offshoretackle.com/questionstadpoles.html

I think I am going to pass on these, at least for now.

Default Skipping across the surface!!!!

Wakina, it's great to see you took great intrest on this diver, you shure did your homework! now that I read the info it does say it rises in the water once it is tripped,NOT good, this also jarred my brain, I watched Mark Romanac 411 and I noticed that most of the walleye he caught were skipping across the surface of the water. How much fun could that be? I think I'm sticking with the jet divers. Thanks for all your help!!!! PAP

Quote Originally Posted by pap View Post
    Wakina, it's great to see you took great intrest on this diver, you shure did your homework! now that I read the info it does say it rises in the water once it is tripped,NOT good, this also jarred my brain, I watched Mark Romanac 411 and I noticed that most of the walleye he caught were skipping across the surface of the water. How much fun could that be? I think I'm sticking with the jet divers. Thanks for all your help!!!! PAP
    PAP,
    I am always looking for an improvement to my current fishing system, but I refuse to change if it does not, after some research, appear that it would be a beneficial improvement large enough to make the cost worth it. Been fishing to long and spent to much money in my foolish younger days on just such things to just jump into a change that would cost in the neighborhood of $40 to $50 including the shipping, just to switch 4 rods over to a new system such as this tadpole diver. There is no doubt that this is an excellent diver for salmon which are typically larger and fight harder and found in deeper water but not for walleyes who don't have near as much fight. I also assume that these divers are not made out of plastic as they are powder coated which takes heat to cure I believe 250 to 350 degrees, they probably don't float like a jet does and most likely sink if you slow down to fight a fish or if you make a fairly tight turn, so in the western basin, especially around the reefs they could get hung up rather easy, most likely resulting in their loss. This is just my thoughts and my opinion as to what it takes for me to change from one system to another.
    Last edited by wakina; 03-23-2011 at 12:17 PM.

Smile Right to the point!!!!!

Wakina, you are a very interesting man that puts things in perspective. I can understand and relate to everything you say. Sometimes things that look and sound to good to be true, usually end up costing you more in the end. I totally agree with the sinking part around the reefs resulting in a tear off where the jet would float! The spinning rigs you use, I've never seen before. Where do you get that type of blades? Plus you use beads, and a 60" harness, do you run the beads the whole way? Do you troll them off the jets or drift them with a bottom bouncer, when the wind allows you. All the talk I hear is 18"/22" harnesses behind the jet or bouncer. I'm coming out May 6-12th and need all the help I can get!!!!
    Thanks,
    Pap

9. Default

I have used these divers. Not a huge fan. although they work they dont work as well as jets. If you want to try a newer diver give slide diver lite bite a try. I absolutly love these divers. they have an added trigger arm on the back of the planer that trips when a fish strikes your lure. Everyone here has dragged perch and bass while trolling dipsys and not known they were on there until you bring you rod in. this completely eliminates dragging nontarget fish behind your boat. I havent used dipsys on my boat for 2 seasons and wont go back to them. give them a try.
    www.slidediver.com

I am no way affiliated with slide diver in anyway. Just a fisherman trying to help other fisherman out.

10. Default

Speaking of newer planer devices. I have to say that the Slide Diver Lite Bite is the best product that has came out in the last 5 years. They are amazing. They are exactly like a dipsy diver but have an added trigger arm on the back so when a fish hits you lure it trips the diver. So no more dragging perch or bass behind you boat because your dipsy didnt trip. I have totally taken Dipsys out of my boat and I strongly suggest you give these a try. You will not regret it. Great Product!!!
    www.slidediver.com

I am in no way affiliated with slide diver. Its just a great product and i want to share my experiece using them to other fisherman.