My way My way My way My way

Thread: My way

Default My way

Here are two of my favorite blades and spoons. I use the spoons with a small about 4 inch long 2 hook crawler harness with a 60" leader, the blades are tied as a standard beaded worm harness with a 60" 2 hook snell. I have included pics of these on a white and black background just to show how much difference light can make. I have also included some pics of the beads that I use on my harnesses.

There is a place in Findlay seels beads cheep.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishing Dude View Post
    There is a place in Findlay seels beads cheep.
    Do they sell the AA or AAA fiber optic (cats eye) beads? I use mostly fiber optic beads. If you look closely you will see a bright light ring (the cats eye)around the beads in the photo, these beads pick up any available light and transfer that light to the surface of the bead concentrating the light around the center or equater of the bead, that ring of light is even more pronounced when the beads are in a single line as they would be on a worm harness as they are picking up light from all directions. I have had exceptionally good results with these beads. To me the beads are every bit as important as the blade itself.

I just know that when I bought beads Years ago this is where I bought mine, worked fine, but then agin I have some beads that are from the 60's.

furlough Guest

Default Harness

I started making my own harnesses. I have a problem with them getting wound up and knotted. I think I am using size 5 colorado blades. Do you think these blades are too big and causing this problem?

Default Harness problem

Quote Originally Posted by furlough View Post
    I started making my own harnesses. I have a problem with them getting wound up and knotted. I think I am using size 5 colorado blades. Do you think these blades are too big and causing this problem?
    There could be several reasons for the problem that you are having. I need to know if possible how fast you are trolling, Colorados are designed to be trolled at less than 2 mph preferably 1mph to 1.8mph if your speed is in the correct range it is very possible that your clevis is to small and that allows the blade to contact your harness snell between the clevis and the snell line. Take one of your harness and leave it hang straight down then tip the blade straight up watching to see if the blade touches the line. If it touches the line it will do so while spining and start to twist the snell. It probably twists and knots up after fishing with it for little while. If it touches go to the next larger clevis. Also use a high quality ball bearing Swivel or swivel snap on your harness this also helps with line twists.

Check out page 18 of this catalog link. Try to match your blade size to clevis size.

http://www.luremaking.com/catalogue/...nguide-web.pdf

I don't think size five blades are the problem. When I use Colorado blades they are almost always size 6 or 7 with the largest folded clevis available. Hope this helps you and also let me know.

7. Default

I buy all my stuff from Hagens. Great prices, fast shipping, i believe its a small family owned company. www.hagensfish.com

Default trolling harnesses

I make mine. I use 30# leader line. I start with clamping a single hook and work up using around 5 colored beads, a clevis, and add 7 or 8 beads followed with a swivel. I then clamp on a trebel hook that is about 3" long.