Fairport / Mentor Walleye Fairport / Mentor Walleye Fairport / Mentor Walleye Fairport / Mentor Walleye
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    yobrick007 Guest

Default mentor/fairport

Hey fish fry, how'd you make out? I'm heading out tues and/or wed. Don't have a fish report for out here. If your in the lorain area, they're battering fish on the 18 line. I figure i'd try 70+ just going off history.

Default mentor/fairport/ Eastlake

went straight out of the chagrin 52 ft this morning. Marked tons of fish, only managed to bring in a handful of White bass.
    Moved out to 72 ft. Scattered marks. Caught two walleye. One was a Hog. Posting on the " Braggin Board" shortly. Both hit on the same rod. Big Dipsey 3 setting 140 back. Michigan stinger- perch colors with an eye at the top.

3. Default

Very slow day yesterday. Fished from 5am - 11am in 64'-68' North of Perry power plant. Lost one 'eye near the boat, but other than that nothing but white bass and perch. Heard a few guys had minimal success in 70+ but most people I talked to said the bite was SLOW.

yobrick007 Guest

Fishin sunday SUCKED!!! 1 eye, 8lbs on a 40 jet and purple worm harness. Only other thing caught was a buzz at the dock. Be out again mon or tues. We were in 72 ft NE out of fairport. decent marks but no takers

5. Default

Got out Tuesday evening/night and again this morning. On Tuesday, there was a large school of walleye in 69'-70' NW out of the harbor. Trolled West, got a couple on 50 jets and small stingers - blueberry muffin and blonde muffin. This morning, could not find the fish in the same area. Talked to some people who were further East in 70' and not having any luck. Finally, moved out to 74' and the action heated up (trusty 50 jet and blonde muffin was the best combo). Lots of marks toward the bottom and 20-30' down - possibly steelhead. There were two other boats near me, and was told they got a couple on superman stinger spoons on dipsys (3-setting, 180 back). Looks like the 'eyes are moving deeper. All in all, an absolutely gorgeous day on the lake and a few nice fish (see braggin' board). Gonna be back out on Sunday if anyone wants to hit me up on Ch. 68.

Matt
    First One's Out

Mentor SeaFox Guest

Default Saturday Morning

Marked lots of fish early this morning @ 68' due north of Mentor Lagoons.

Continued trolling north 7:30 - 10am, Lots of fish showing at 50' - 60'. Ran dipsys @ 2 and 3 160' and 180' - 200' back. Tried yellow, green, blue colors and a green/orange rapala on the downrigger.

Landed one sheephead, wind kicked up out of the SW and decided to go home early.

This is my first summer out, must be missing some details.

I tried to post to this back in July but was locked out as my password didn't seem to work, snafu'd by the case-sensitive provision. I requested a password reset but it didn't happen. I did get in late July but timed out before I could post and couldn't get back in. The walleye fishing this year was smokin' off the beach in front of the lagoons. Pre-July 4th I was targeting 36-38 feet and pulling maybe 15 fish an evening for about 4 hours of fishing. The largest was 31.5" but most in the 23"-26" range. Moved into 44-48 FOW after the 4th and still managed a couple of decent catches. The fished thinned out in there around the 10th and had to make the run to 70'-76' FOW after that. Only made a couple more trips after that, getting about 10 fish an afternoon/evening but nice size. It was a wonderful season in terms of gas expense and hopefully the fish will be there again next season. There usually are fish in there every year during the last week of June/ first week of July unless a bad blow occurs and moves around the warm water. 30 & 40 Jets off of big boards seemed to do the best with small spoons. The only problem was all of the junk fish in there, white bass & sheephead. I didn't try to run meat as it is a magnet to the white bass and you end up dragging many small fish around. It was hard enough to keep lines in the water just running spoons.