Are 3 foot waves to high for my boat? Are 3 foot waves to high for my boat? Are 3 foot waves to high for my boat? Are 3 foot waves to high for my boat?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Are 3 foot waves to high for my boat?

I'm coming up Monday with a 17 footer with a 115 Optimax. The weather calls for 1-3 foot waves. You guy with 17 footers and smaller, do you go out in that? I plan on hitting the reefs for walleyes. Also, where would you suggest that I launch my boat? Any suggestions would be highly appreciated. Thanks---Bob
    Last edited by Targa17; 06-05-2010 at 03:50 PM. Reason: I want to ask another queston

Default 3 footers

Depends on witch direction wind is from. If from off shore you would be ok in 3s if from n. nw. or ne. the problem is the 4 or more footers that seem to sneak up on you. If you have a closed bow boat and watch the weather you should be ok. You can launch from Fenwick, wildwings or Lamberjacks off of RT. 2 good luck

So many variables. If your 17 is deep V and it is 3 ft or less and not building, then it is probably OK. Look at a weather bouy and pay attention to wave intervals. It will tell how many seconds the waves are apart. If it is 3 ft seas and 1 or 2 seconds apart, you will take a beating in any boat. 1 to 3 ft seas is likey 5-15 mph winds. My first boat was 18 ft deep v and did very well in rough conditions. I think you will be fine. Just go easy on the throttle and don't beat yourselves up. Have a good marine radio too. Let us know how it goes.

Default 17'....

I have fished the last 5 years out of my 17' Crestliner. I've been in 5+ footers, which wasn't fun and kinda scary but managed. If you just bounce along properly you'll be fine. Gotta take it slow (sometimes 9 mph sometimes I can go 15 mph) if the waves get big and just bounce thru them. Now, I've done this 100 times so I'm used to it. I've been stuck out in 7 footers before and had to play the throttle at times to get the bow up so a big one wouldn't come over the top. 3 footers - you should be fine if you have a deep V....

I have been running the lake since i been 10yrs old if have experience and know what you are doing running a 17 footer out there should be no problem. Again variables, how high are the sides of the boat, open bow or closed, wind direction, and where your putting in at. I have ran a 19ft sea ray in 5-6 footers out there and more with no problems.. it would help out if you said the kind of boat you are running. Then i could give you a definate answer, good luck and be safe out there

Walleye WCKR 2 Guest

Does it really matter the wind direction? A 3 ft wave is a 3 ft wave regardless of wind direction. Guys that saying they have been in 5 ft waves and bigger in small 17ft or less boats are mistaken, because the waves were not that big. Most people over estimate the size of a wave by about 50%, meaning a 2 ft wave is a 3ft, and 3 ft wave is almost a 5 ft, ect. Your question, "is my boat ok in 3 ft waves." The answer is yes. The real question is do you want to be in 3ft waves in a 17ft boat? the answer is no. You will be soak by spray and feel like you just got the **** kicked out of you. Remember, just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should.

Good point Walleye WCKR 2, it would not be an enjoyable day fishing at all in 3ft waves in a 17 foot boat. Only advice I have is if you do decide to go out, watch out for following seas, esp if you are taking it slow. Play the throttle and be safe. If it was me I would prolly spend the rough days in a bar where the beer is always wet and cold...

waterdog Guest

Default ~waves 2 feet or less

I don't like to bounce around on the lake in 3 foot waves, especialy when they have a few 4 footers thrown in when your not looken. Love the Lake Erie chop and enough wind to keep you moving for the drift and to keep the bugs off you. If I take guests out, they always get sick in 3 foot waves. The 17 footer would be fine for 2 feet or less, but remember as in any boat watch the weather so you can get back to port in case of nasty weather.

Default Walleye WCKR 2

I've definitely been in 5-7 footers in my 17' boat. It's not advisable and I had to play the throttle to make it back safely. So, yesterday, fishing out 20 miles, I'd guess we had 2-3's... Was that about right?

Default waves

I thought the waves were 2-4's on Sunday then they settle to 1-3's 3-5's on Saturday early then the wind changed to the west 1-3's Jkr I sent you a message