Trolling Spoons??? Trolling Spoons??? Trolling Spoons??? Trolling Spoons???
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Trolling Spoons???

I plan to start trolling using spoons next time up to Erie. A couple questions for those that are more experienced trolling spoons:

1) What size Michigan Stinger (or other) spoons do you recommend for walleye - 3 1/4 - 3 3/4 or the mangums - 4 3/4 I believe?
    2) Any favorite all-around color combos?
    3) What speed should I troll - I know, depends on time of year, water temp, water clarity, moon phase, etc.. - but is around 1.8-2.0 mph good avg speed?
    4) For trolling spoons, I have boards and downriggers (which I have yet to use on my boat that I purchased last fall). I realize when trolling spoons I want to be higher in the water column - again, depends on where I'm marking fish, but I figure if I'm trolling in 35' water, put a variety of depths - anywhere from 12'-25' down? Use the boards as well as downrigger or does anyone flat line off the back and use snap weights?
    5) Any other recommendations you can think of?

I'm a drift fisherman for the most part(casting and bottom bouncing) and slow troll using worm harnesses but want to try some spoon trolling as I read how productive it can be...

I'll probably hit the area North of Kelly's in the next week or two and try this method. Thanks!

Default spoons

I use the smaller scorpion spoons, in May my favorite color is silver, I either scratch the paint off or use the ones where the paints wears off. But the rest of the year I prefer anything orange with the copper back. Confusion, rays raz dolphin, there one with an orange stripe and copper back, perch. Alot of times I run a 20,30 or 40 jet about 150 to 200 straight back. You really don't need a lot of different colors, getting the lure at the right depth is more important. They work real well behind dipseys.

Default Trolling Spoons

Thanks guys - I figured anything with purple of course and will pickup some others. Regarding your response: "Alot of times I run a 20,30 or 40 jet about 150 to 200 straight back. You really don't need a lot of different colors, getting the lure at the right depth is more important. They work real well behind dipseys. "

Are you saying you use a spoon, then run about 6 ft flurocarbon to a dipsey, then run 150-200 feet til your board (or flat line off the boat) or are you saying you just run 150-200 back without using a dipsey?

Anyone tried those Thundermist spoons yet - the combo spoon/harness rig?

Default Trolling Spoons

So you guys have 6-8 rods, all with line counter reels to know how far back your spoons are running behind the boards? I only have 1 counter reel - I just guess on the others (I'm a bow hunter so I'm good with yardage and then covert to feet when I cast out!) I know, not the best method but can't afford to go buy 5 new line counter reels!! What's typical of how far back you run (again, I know it depends on many factors). If using Jet 40, would 65ft back work or do I need to go more?

I use a 5 foot leader behind the jets and dipdeys. I run the dipseys off of the side of the boat 25-99 back. Then run the jets sraight out the back anywhere from 100 to 200 back. I let them out to get them away from the boat. Some wrote earlier(on a different post) how they use a toilet bowl float to get a line way back. I've never tried it.

Default Trolling Spoons

Forgot to ask: Do you solely use Michigan Stinger spoons or other? I see lots of trolling spoons on ebay - Lots by "Lake Erie Walleye Candy" and other trolling flutter spoons.

If you don't have linecounters you can do it the old school way and count guide passes. I used to use this method back in the day. Most reels will count out about 8-10 ft for every pass of the guide but it depends on the reel, the best way is for you to take your set up out in the front yard you will also need a 100 ft. tape measure or use whatever you have and mark it off for you desired maximum distance, next tie the line around a screwdriver and stick it in the ground at the start of the tape and walk the line out while counting the guide passes and write down how many passes for every 10 or 20 ft. this way you will have your own chart and know exactly how much line is out. Hope this helps.

Default Boards

I just started trolling a couple of years ago. I use dipseys on a 3 setting for the sides and jets out the rear. One of these days I am going to have to try to figure out the boards. I have never tried them and am just starting to get a little understanding of how they work. My problem is understanding how to keep them from getting tangled, if you have 3 or 4 rods out each side and the center or outside rod hooks up, how do you get it in without catching the other lines? I know I sound dumb to all you board users but I'm just trying to understand before I give it a try.

Looks like good weather this week, maybe those walleye will be back on track.

Good luck everyone.
    Last edited by Eyezcrazy; 05-22-2010 at 07:26 AM.

i bought all the trolling equipment line counters on 7ft ugly sticks,dipseys,jet 30s and 40s and 20s 30 michigan stingers used them for a season caught fish then sold them all invested the money into making harnesses and i just like the feel of the walleye hitting that lure when it bends your pole over like a snag and you set the hook and fight the fish even though there are days when trolling is the only way to go i do not enjoy trolling like i do drifting with worms fished lake erie for 35 years some years have been tough some great but my opinion casting and working bottom bouncers and the spring jig which was very good this year now that's walleye fishing on lake erie. fishing will pick up when the lake settles down

Thanks for that info Prkr. I think when I give it a try I'll maybe start out with 2 on each side until I get the hang of it. So do you recommend big boards?

I do agree with you rscotfish....there's nothing like feeling that tap then setting the hook. I just know when I go up and there's no wind to drift it can be a long day, that's when I want to troll.

I just started making my own harnesses this year, where is the cheapest place to buy components?
    Last edited by Eyezcrazy; 05-22-2010 at 09:17 AM.