River or Lake? River or Lake? River or Lake? River or Lake?

Thread: River or Lake?

Walleyeboater101 Guest

Question River or Lake?

Hi Guys! I've been reading these posts for a month now, and I think I could use some of this great advice, can anybody help? I only have one week a year to get to fish Lake Erie, and I feel lika a junk yard dog on a chain until I can go. I first fished there in 2005. Last year I fished the Detroit River for the first half of my time, and never got a bite until the fourth day, and managed to boat a limit before I left to go to Port Clinton. I was told the water was dirty and to wait, the fishing would improve. Well, four days later it did, but there went half my time. My motivation to go there is that I was told it's the best place to gat a wall hanger. This year my time is 4/18 to 4/26- Would you spend time on the river, or just skip it and concentrate on trolling the deep water off the reefs? The weather this year has me worried that I may make another trip and go fishless. Any advice on th best option? I only have a 17' boat so rough days on the Lake are out, and I would really like to maximise my time. Still trying for the Trophy.

Thanks-sorry about the long thread.

Default river or lake

It all depends when you are coming down, right now the river is red hot, with
    limits of males, and females up to 13 lbs. being caught regular, we fish the bay for our lake walleyes and its spotty right now, river fish will be in for
    two to poss, 4 weeks, depends on weather, lake right now depends on
    northeasterns, and weather.

Default still waiting

We have had our boat in for two weeks and havent made a run due to muddy and rough water. i have never fished the detroit river but i the town i live we get a walleye run and this year has been super hot. i have heard stories of guys taking 25 walleye out in like 2 or 3 week ends. as far as the lake goes i think next weekend (18-20)will be great they are callin for good weather all week

fbcoachfisherman Guest

To have your best chance at the trophy trolling the open water of the lake is probably your best bet. (I can be done in the River too) You can cover more water and can work more lines depending on # of people with you. You can also target those areas where the big sows are heading back to deeper water. Deep water north of the reefs, north of Kelley's and the South Passage. Much depends on timing. Right now we are fighting a slow warm up of water and as you mentioned clarity. Not sure when you are coming. March came in like a lion and left like a lion. April has not been much better. We have these conditions some years. There are years that Charter Captains get hit hard by the weather. The good news is that a lot of days have been fishable, but the mud and cold water are making it more difficult. Slow trolling (under 1.5) the famous Reef Runners have caught some great great fish. You won't get the #s, but you will have size. Your biggest obstacle may be time. Alot of big fish are the first to spawn and the first to leave. Fish slow and fish safe. I have an 18 footer and am able to get out much of the time. Just have to be smart.

mike