Perchin' off Huron. Perchin' off Huron. Perchin' off Huron. Perchin' off Huron.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Perchin' off Huron.

Went out and east from the Huron river yesterday to 42 fow. We got 2 limits using crappie rigs and small minnows (they said these were the spawn of the year), took 4 hours. Got out at 9 am, lake went from calm, to mild chop, to calm, to like glass, to heavier chop to calm all in 5 hours. Caught 67 yellow perch and only 6 trash fish, that was a first. Only brought in 59 YP, I guess I do not know how to count to 60. Learned what a line of perch looked like on the fish finder which would also pick up our crappie rigs, so we started to lift the rigs to match the depth of the perch as they came through and that worked out pretty well.

Post Thanks / Like

59 was a better number than having 61. Better to be safe than sorry.
    Part time fisherman, Full time fish finder.

Post Thanks / Like

I hear you there! Went out again yesterday. It was choppy with lots of swells. Only got 9 YP, could not stay out where I wanted to be. The lake never did lay down. I think that the wind picked up even more come sun down. That was not the desired out come for the day when you trailer your boat 160 miles one way. Some days you get them, some days you don't. Still had fun. Fred.

Basspro Guest

Default where should i go

Hi Fred, Thank you for the reply on where to go to get fished cleaned. That is about 55miles away from Cleveland, but the air show is there this weekend so I am going to stay away from there. So since you say the perching is good in Huron, I was wondering if you could tell me where to launch and get bait. I am not familer with Huron so an address would be great, then I can jus put it in my GPS. Any tips on where to go on the lake and depth would be great too. Thank you, Basspro
    Last edited by Basspro; 09-02-2009 at 12:07 PM. Reason: spelling

Post Thanks / Like

OK here we go. Go into Huron, the main drag is Cleveland Rd. West of the river find RT13, go south over the rr tracks and on the left is a good drive thru/bait shop. Pick their heads for local info. I did very well at the dump grounds, out of the river north by west, N-29., W-34. You are close to Cedar Point. I also go straight out of the river, north to 42 fow and do well. Go back out to Clev RD. and head toward the river, just before the river is a gravel rd. that goes beside and under the river bridge, this is where you launch, cost 5 bucks, honor system with envelopes at shack at door. Heading out of the river on left just past the closed The Platt restaurant is Fred's cleaning service. Restaurants to try, just east of the river on Clev Rd. is 1st Berardi's, best perch dinner also get a cup of bisque, 2nd just a little farther is Marconi's. Also near 13 and the launch area is the Pied Piper for you ice cream needs, try a Nut Dip. This should cover it. If you need more info just ask. If all goes well, I will be out there also. Fred.
    Last edited by FredT; 09-03-2009 at 12:08 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

You asked for an adress, Huron Bait and Supply, 38 N. Main St., Huron , Ohio 44839. This is also where the cleaning service is. If you take RT2 west out of Clevetown, before you get to Huron, you will see an exit for RT13. Go north on 13 and it will take you to the drive thru/bait shop, it will be on the right.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Line of perch ?

what is a line of perch ?

Post Thanks / Like

I learned by studying my fish finder while at anchor what the perch look like as they swim by under the boat. If I was in 34 fow, I would see a black line appear on the fish finder at a depth of 31 ft and start getting hits and fish. No line, no action. Sometimes it would be a thicker line like a ribbon or several smaller lines like fingers, I would call that attack formation because the action would be fast with many doubles. My fish finder will pick up my crappie rig, so I would lift the bait to match the exact depth of the line of fish and that seemed to work well. So that is what I call a line of perch.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Perch line up

OK I thought that since I always get my bait robbed by thoes guys there was a police line up

Post Thanks / Like

It would be hard to tell who is who, they all look alike!