July 2009 Western Lake Erie Fishing Reports July 2009 Western Lake Erie Fishing Reports July 2009 Western Lake Erie Fishing Reports July 2009 Western Lake Erie Fishing Reports
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Tuesday night the casting bite was on. 2 miles north of west sister. 30 walleye in 3 1/2 hours. Only 3 were 15"- 17". There rest were bigger up to 25". Several small ones caught also, even a few 6" ones. Gold hammered blades fished very slow near the bottom. Bite was on the swing of the lure.

When you say "gold hammered blades" do you mean worm harness? Sorry I'm new.

Homemade "weapons"

20" loop to hook

#2 hook
    5 beads (clear green or yellow)
    #5 deep cup Indiana hammerd blade
    1 bead
    Loop with bead to hold slip sinker on

Quote Originally Posted by PZeiler View Post
    Homemade "weapons"

20" loop to hook

#2 hook
    5 beads (clear green or yellow)
    #5 deep cup Indiana hammerd blade
    1 bead
    Loop with bead to hold slip sinker on
    What weight sinker do you use?

Depends upon the drift - wind speed and waves along with what position on the boat you are fishing from as well as casting angle. I always carry 1/4 - 1 ounce egg sinkers. Most of the time I will use a 3/8 or 1/2 ounce. It is very rare that I use a 7/8 or 1 ounce. Only if I am fishing in heavy seas and need to get the lure down near the bottom and keep it there.

Tuesday night I was using a 5/8 ounce in 3-4 foot waves fishing out of the back of the boat. I had the guys fishing on the up wind side of the boat using 3/4 ounce. They could not stay near the bottom with a 5/8 ounce. The size of the blade will also make a difference as far as how much weight you will need to keep your lure at a certain depth. The bigger the blade, the heavier of a weight you will need to keep your lure down. The resistance of the bigger blade pulls the lure back up to the surface.

As I mentioned on the earlier post, the bite was on the "swing" of the lure - meaning that I would cast out at a 90 - 110 degree angle of the drift. I would let the lure sink to the bottom and then begin to slowly bring the lure in. As my line would begin to straighten out, the lure would pick up speed and this would trigger the bite.

Best advice - Keep trying different things if what you are using is not working.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Pzeiler!

Was out Thursday night. Rough water. A few sick crew members. Did catch fish. Kept 7. Same area as Tuesday night. Bite was extremely soft. More small ones than big ones. Fished 2 1/2 hours. Also caught the biggest sheephead of the year - 28" Ugly looking fish

Default report 7-12

Fished around turnaround buoy in morning. Caught 8 on yellow and gold weapons. All Fish 16-20 inches. Went back out in afternoon to North edge of island, about 3 miles west of island and Caught 6 more on green tiger colored weapons. One was 27.5 inches and 81/2 pounds. No junk fish at all.

Default 7/11 - 7/14

Fished Sat. thru Mon. 7/11 to 7/14 out of turtle creek. Fished 1 to 2 miles N.E. of the turnaround Sat. and caught 11 eyes trolling harnesses behind jets. Most ran around 20 to 22 inches.

Sunday caught 9 eyes fishing 3 to 4 miles right out of turtle creek in 16 to 20 feet of water. Fish were smaller here.

Monday fished turnaround again and caught 17 behind the jets and harnesses.

Alot of reports in camp of guys fishing 16 feet of water out from Davis Besse and limiting on eyes. Mostly smaller fish. They are mainly trolling crankbaits.

Fished (casting) Tuesday 7/14 5:00 - 8:30. 3 miles north of west sister in 30 ft of water. Caught 18 walleye. All on the bottom. Copper and gold blade home made weapons with 5/8 ounce egg sinker. Water was a 2 ft chop. Cast out, count to 20, Reel 2-3 cranks, stop and drag bottom for 15 sec (add a slight jig to it) reel 2-3 cranks, stop and drag bottom, etc.... Still catching them on the swing of the lure. Bite is extremely weird. They are just grabbing it. More like waiting for a dead weight to be on your line. When your rod tip seems heavier, set the hook.