Port Colbourne Fishing Port Colbourne Fishing Port Colbourne Fishing Port Colbourne Fishing
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Any tips for the Selkirk area?

I haven't fished the Selkirk area but would like to get down south of there into the deep water off the submerged Long Point escarpment to check it out. I figure it has to be prime salmon and steelhead haunts in midsummer. Where do you launch?

I have a cottage on Lakeshore Road Featherstone point area. There is a Launch in Naticoke. Have not had a chance to fish much since I am remodeling this place but putting it on my agenda!

Several km south of where you launch and just north of the border is where I'm targeting. Got to wait for the Lake to settle down before venturing out that far but it looks interesting for salmonids. Deep water and a sudden dropoff.

Went out today, Friday, September 2, 2011 about a mile south of the 2 mile marker and south of Lorraine Point in c. 56' of water. Took 4# walleye on orange and green worm harness 80' back using 3 oz slip sinker. Took 5# walleye on downrigger 45' down on purple and black harness. Lost hog at the boat, green worm harness on green/orange dipsey 20 at 80' back. All this between 07:00 and 07:45 and then nothing for the rest of the day except a 1.5# smallie, a bunch of gobies and two monster sheephead. Marked lots but No takers. Good day otherwise.

Went out yesterday just west of port colbourne. Fished 65' marked lots but no luck. Moved out to 80' and got an 8 and a couple of fives within about 45 min and 200 feet of each other. then nothing but sheephead. Was about 4ish and got all three down about 50-60'. Two on black and pur and one on grn and gold (Worm Harnesses). The sheep head seem to love the green and gold lol. Good luck

How can a thread with only 15 posts have over 5,000 hits? Could it be that people who fish walleye out of Pt. Colborne are interested in getting information but not so keen on providing it? Tournament mentality, maybe, even when a tournament isn't on? Or, maybe, it's all about conservation? Like people don't want too many fish caught for the sake of keeping stocks up? What with the commercial guys out there and our American friends now allowed three poles per (and who are always sharing info on VHF ch. 68 for all to hear) it might be rationalized that way but it looks more like many folks on this side of the border are reluctant to share the resource. There are others who have been a lot more helpful. Peppermint and I thank you for what has been a fantastic season - even if it isn't over yet. See you out there once the Lake settles down.

Well, I have clicked on this thread, but I have never fished around Port Colbourne. I am sure that there are a lot of people like me....

Default Port Colborne walleye

This was my first full year on them and I must say I didn't have the success I wanted. I've learned alot and if you want to catch lake erie wall's then you should spend some time fishing with an experienced guy. Mind you if your not in the right place at the right time it's still an uphill battle. I fish this area all the time, on sept 5th I went south west to 65 feet. Spent a couple of hours with no luck. Lots on the screen but nothing bitting. Also noticed alot of bait fish there too. Moved out to 83' and faired much better, Got three in less then an hour. All on harnesses about 50 to 60 down. Seem to like the blk and prpl but also had luck with gld and grn. Good luck and keep us posted

I have to agree about right place right time, Jeff. Most of the success we've had this year was because other anglers were generous with their advice. Same goes for colours - we found that black and purple worked well too, especially down deep. See you out there.