Jigging on the reefs! Jigging on the reefs! Jigging on the reefs! Jigging on the reefs!
    hot-n-tot501 Guest

Default Jigging on the reefs!

Well, i think im going out with some friends on April 5-6 walleye fishing out of Wild Wings marina. Last year, we killed the small, male walleye the second week of April about 1/2 mile out of the mouth of the river in 10 ft of water. I imagine next weekend we will fish the same area, just out the mouth of the river or on the camp perry reefs such as cone and crib. Why im posting this report is because i want to know if the trophy walleye are mixed in with the thousands of males or if the females are somewhere else. Im really dying to catch a big walleye. It's been 4 years since i caught my 10lb, 30 1/2" trophy in early May east of Niagra reef. Also, how do u catch them? I know jigging with the purple hair jigs works for the 18" males, but is it also effective for the hogs? If not, what are some lures that are effective in the early spring for large females? I often thought about when drifting on the reefs in April, not jigging like everyone else, but casting and retreiving Rapalas. Is worth messing with? Let me know what works for the big girls! Thanks and good fishing.

CAPTNHUGH Guest

Default Lunkers

Most of the big females are caught off of the North East side of Kelleys Island in early spring. this is where all the tournament fisherman troll. Trolling speed has to be very slow when water is cold. Try using reef runners and other types of crank baits. Out by Kelleys you wont be fishing for quantity but quality. Good luck and always keep an ear on the weather reports.

blotto Guest

Default Lunkers

Hot N Tot,
    I have been early fishing for a few years and the biggest fish have been trolling with cranks, big deep reefrunners, rapala husky jerks. You do not have to go all the way to Kellys to get them though. Just get off the reefs and search for them. We have caught them near A,B,C cans and just off Niagara. As always depending on the conditions you have to run different depths, areas, colors until you find them. When you do hang on because they can be nice. 7-8# average weights....an occasional 10-11#Good luck, we will be out on the 18-20th.