Jig Fishing Jig Fishing Jig Fishing Jig Fishing

Thread: Jig Fishing

jax7725 Guest

Default Jig Fishing

I have some questions for some of you frequent Western Basin Fisherman. Those of you who jig fish, What are some common sized jigs that are used? Also, do you tip the jigs with a minnow/crawler or gulp? Is drifting with the jigs the preferred technique or do some of you anchor up?

I love the feel of a walleye hammering down on a jig, so I'm intrigued to try it. I've been out to Erie a couple of times. In the past we stayed on Kelley's Island and basically pulled spinners around that area with limited success. Some days were better than others', but overall the fishing wasn't fast and furious. The one year the weather was aweful with cold and snow, so that had something to do with the lack of success, but I'm always up for advice and willing to try different things. This year we are heading out the 19th -25th of April so I'm not sure with the spring in Ohio if the fish will be out front of Kelley's when we get there. Any input into that would be great too. Great forum by the way.

Thanks
    Jax7725

Default Jigging

We basically use 1/2 oz jigs tipped with minnows. The spawning areas we fish are approx 8-10 miles west of Kelleys Island. Head to B or C cans then head southwest towards the pack of boats hugging the shoreline or reef drop points. We do not anchor. We drift, catch our fish and if it slows down we move back upwind and redrift the same line as close as possible. For political correctness it is not appropriate to anchor when drifting a school. You will see direct lines of boats all doing the same drift, over and over. If you anchor in the middle of a hot drift you can expect to get odd looks.

Get your jigs at the local bait store. They will advise what colors have been producing best.

Have fun

jax7725 Guest

Default Thanks

Thanks for the info.