Info on Dipsy divers Info on Dipsy divers Info on Dipsy divers Info on Dipsy divers
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

You all are a wealth of knowledge!
    Keep up the post's gentlemen.
    Good luck, and stay safe.

Quote Originally Posted by gill View Post
    I usually set my rod in the holder and let the diver just touch the water before setting the counter to zero. Then let the reel feed out the line with the clicker on. Can run 2 rods at a time on one side. Generally let the forward rod set to 3.5 out first to get it away from the boat.
    Are you running braid on your dipsy reels and if so, what weight? THanks.

Most people use braid powered 30lb test.Most guys saying you should use hi vis yellow,to better see the line.Does not effect the bite any.Thanks walleye huntin.Most of what we do trolling has been passed on from other experienced fishermen.Then tried on the water and getting better every year with different techniques.These websites really help the learning curve for new trollers.When I started trolling more 15yrs ago had to learn these lessons from another experiencd trolled.I called him each time out and he told me what we were doing wrong and what to buy/try different the next time.I still am learning stuff here and the Ohio Game and Fish website.But best way to learn faster is go with a charter or other experienced troller.

That's power pro braid 30lb test

Quote Originally Posted by itsbob View Post
    That's power pro braid 30lb test
    thanks for the info

Default Braid

Ditto on the 30 lb. braid. Small diameter and plenty of strength. No worries popping the diver with the rod.
    Good luck.

don't be mislead by reels with line counters or depth counters. They count the revolutions of the spool, not the actual amount of line. 75 back on my reel may be 85 back on a different reel. It depends on the size of the spool and the amount of line on the spool. To check your reels , set your counter to 0 and have someone actually measure out 10 feet of line and then read the counter. If the counter is not 10, you will have to calculate actual line out. The more line you have out the more accurate the adjustment to your counter when actually fishing. For example, if you have measured 20 feet of line out and your counter reads 18 you will use counter number of 9 for every 10 feet of line out. 27 on the counter would be 30 feet of actual line out. hope this helps.

^^^great advice^^^.... that's why i always take the "line back" number given in fishing reports with a grain of salt. I'm always wondering if the poster of the report properly calibrated their line counters. You'd think being off a couple feet in depth is no big deal, but sometimes it can be the difference in getting your bait in the strike zone vs not.

What coolyfarm is talking about is calibrating your reels.If calibrated properly,the number of feet on counter will be exactly how much line is actually out.I started calibrating my rods and a few of the guys I fish with several years ago.If you want to calibrate your rods,look at a utube video on how to do it.Can get confusing trying to explain how to do it in this post.There are plenty of good fishermen and charters that don't calibrate and they catch just fine without doing it.As long as all the reels and line are the same,you can eyeball the line on the spool and get your rods pretty close.Others recalibrate their gear 2 to 3 times in a season.I When I read other posts about leads guys run,I'm not looking for exact leads.Every day is different with fish changing depths they feed at not just daily,but hourly.If starting out a new day and don't know what depths are catching,cover the depth of water column with all your lines till find depth fish feeding at.

I started running wire on my dipsys a couple years ago. Big difference from braid. Takes a flick of the wrist to trip the dipsy...