Walleye report 7/5/19 Walleye report 7/5/19 Walleye report 7/5/19 Walleye report 7/5/19

Default Walleye report 7/5/19

We went straight out of Huron past the pack to 45'-48' of water and trolled Stinger Scorpion spoons with the wind. Kevorkian, Nascar...on #2 Tadpoles with 29' and 45' leads with inline planers. It took about 3 hours to weed through some shorts and junk fish to get a two man ticket. All eyes were 17-22". Saw lots of boats trolling in different directions to the wind. I'm sure they caught a few but clearly they don't understand how to troll. If you're new to trolling you should go with the wind at your back. This keeps your speed consistent, your lures aren't jumping/surging or getting tangled, plus it makes for a more predictable ride.

Good luck and be safe out there!
    Last edited by FUBAR1; 07-06-2019 at 12:21 PM. Reason: Wrong date
    FUBAR1
    New Philadelphia, Ohio

"I get my walleye gear online at PHDtackle.com."

Default thx for the update,

Quote Originally Posted by FUBAR1 View Post
    We went straight out of Huron past the pack to 45'-48' of water and trolled Stinger Scorpion spoons with the wind. Kevorkian, Nascar...on #2 Tadpoles with 29' and 45' leads with inline planers. It took about 3 hours to weed through some shorts and junk fish to get a two man ticket. All eyes were 17-22". Saw lots of boats trolling in different directions to the wind. I'm sure they caught a few but clearly they don't understand how to troll. If you're new to trolling you should go with the wind at your back. This keeps your speed consistent, your lures aren't jumping/surging or getting tangled, plus it makes for a more predictable ride.

Good luck and be safe out there!
    Kind of a far ride for me from South Bass Island but good to see you slammed them. Never understood the trolling sideways into the
    wind thing. Thought I was the only one who trolled with the wind, lol.....I just thought they knew what they were doing more than me.

Trolling with the wind is entirely a traffic/congestion issue. Often the fish prefer a different presentation, perpendicular to the wind or on a calmer day when manageable right into it. Let the fish tell you what they want. That is why I always head away from the packs and find my own fish, where I can actually fish and not just blindly drift with a pack of 150 of my closest friends.

Yes,Sometimes the fish prefer a specific direction when trolling.It is easiest to troll downwind,especially in rougher water.I always tell the driver to start upwind of where we want to start unless dead calm.But you want to try different directions when you troll to see if a particular direction catches better.This is most likely the result of current,but could be other factors such as the amount of light,topogrophy or something else.