Drifting report 6/13 Drifting report 6/13 Drifting report 6/13 Drifting report 6/13

Default Drifting report 6/13

Not much was happening in the south passage today off of American Eagle Shoal. It was fairly choppy and I had the drift bag out. I did get a late start and got out there at noon, and came in at 4. The last few weeks, 4 hours would have gotten us our limit. 3 guys in the boat, we got 6 keepers and tossed back 2 small ones. All right on the bottom.

Given the wind, heavy bottom bouncers were the order of the day. Every fish we got in was on a small Stinger spoon. All we were getting on harnasses was sheephead. Usually spoons are a trolling proposition, but when the wind is blowing like it was today the boat drifts plenty fast to make a spoon flutter. Like I said: bottom bouncer, about a 5 foot leader, then a spoon. Copper and chartreuse seemed best, we got 4 of them on that color on one rod, the others were on chartreuse and silver.

When I'm drifting with spoons (and even when I am trolling, which I haven't done in 2 years given how good they have been biting drifting and casting) I usually hedge my bets and for some reason put a little chunk of worm on the hook. No more than half an inch long, you don't want to impair the movement of the spoon, but I just like the idea of a scent trail in the water.

I"d say waves were about 4 feet. I usually call it quits if they hit 5.

Looking at the fish finder I think the fish are still in the area. There were several head boats there. Just, given the front coming through, they weren't biting well is all.

thank you for this report!

Thanks for the information

Thanks for thorough report.Resoursefull using spoons on the bottom bouncers to catch the few you did.I had never tried that.Have always used harness.And pretty rough out in 4ftrs.I would think the spoons would be dragging on the bottom.But if going fast enough and set up off bottom at correct distance,obviously works.Good job.

Thanks for the info on how to drag spoons with the bottom bouncers. I too thought the spoons might drop to the bottom.

I like the "little chunk of worm on the hook". Have not done it this year yet, but it does seem to help a slow bite.

Reside in Columbus, OH. Have place in Perrysburg, OH.

Guess I'm not the only one thinking how to use "trolling lures" in drift fishing. I came across this "spoon" lure last winter, Fin-Wing. Just bought a few to test out on Erie. Gave a few to a charter captain for him to try out (drift fishing). Will give them a trial for a week or two. Doesn't look like you have to pull them as fast as a standard spoon due to the unique "swim" action. So might work with drift fishing.

Drifting report 6/13-fin-wing-lure-jpg

https://pz-tackle.com/
    Last edited by West Basin; 06-16-2019 at 07:50 PM. Reason: add content

Quote Originally Posted by West Basin View Post
    Guess I'm not the only one thinking how to use "trolling lures" in drift fishing. I came across this "spoon" lure last winter, Fin-Wing. Just bought a few to test out on Erie. Gave a few to a charter captain for him to try out (drift fishing). Will give them a trial for a week or two. Doesn't look like you have to pull them as fast as a standard spoon due to the unique "swim" action. So might work with drift fishing.

Drifting report 6/13-fin-wing-lure-jpg

https://pz-tackle.com/
    Dave,
    We will get them to work next time. I never thought to put one of those on the bouncer. BTW I got out again Sunday morning and went west of islands. Nada fish, nada bite in 3 hours. Started to rain so we packed it in and got back at 10am. The water color was crud.
    Rick