6/11/19 Drifting Report 6/11/19 Drifting Report 6/11/19 Drifting Report 6/11/19 Drifting Report

Default 6/11/19 Drifting Report

2 guys got our limit of 12 in a couple hours. Stopped by American Eagle shoal, nothing doing in half hour. Moved out and fished SE of the big pack of boats out by the border. We were between Kelly’s and PIB. 36-37 FOW. Gold weapons, 5-10 count. When it’s calm, make sure to finish out your cast, they seemed to hit extremely close to the boat when you started to get a little vertical tilt to your lure.

Got 3 tickets drifting west of west sister yesterday from 3-8pm. Weight forwards dragged long line on bottom worked way better than casting and retrieving at any count. Twice now that has been the way to take them when drifting. Has worked better than casting

back when we fished the western basin drifting was the way we fished. we just let out about 100' of line. stick our rods up against the side of the boat then grab it when it bent over. man those were great times.

Sometimes that long lining/dragging can catch a lot of fish,but I have found that a bottom bouncer worked/caught better.The bottom bouncer works better due to the line out is shorter and there more action on the lure.The rocking of the boat from the waves can be deadly as the lure gets pulled upward and flutters back and down.Used to use two rods all the time out in the flats (30fow) with one bottom bouncer and me casting the other.If holding onto rod,long lining,can catch better if you lift rod high and back and then put rod back down with slack.Let boat pull up the slack and feel for the weight of a fish.Then set the hook hard.Lots of stretch long lining with mono.

I like bottom bouncers too and run both, but last two trips for us the long lines out caught the bottom bouncers 3:1. Last night I dragged a bottom bouncer with a harness forever with nary a fish, finally switched the same pole to a long line weight forward and they started hitting it. Seemed to also do better with the rod in a holder rather than hanging on to it. And for some strange reason they didn't at all want it casting with a slow retrive even when you could feel it bumping bottom. Oh well, tomorrow might be reverse.

I too had luck yesterday and today long lining on the bottom. I had luck getting them to hit when I would lift and drop the rod tip or leave a little slack line out. Quick limits both days. It nice to have the luxury of throwing 15 and 16 inchers back. Back to back beautiful days out there..

3 tickets today 6 to 7 miles out of menkies. Started out drifting bottom boncers did best. In late morning things calmed a bit did some trolling and picked up most of our fish.

When rods in rod holders get more action on lures.Used to tell guys on our boat to stop holding rod and put in rod holder to catch better.But yeah,there are times when long lining will outfish the bottom bouncers.Think that is usually in shallower water and you need that separation/distance from boat for fish to bite.But if long lining,better not do it over a rocky bottom.You will get snags.Dont be fooled,alot of people that say they are casters are actually draggers.I see it with people we fish with all the time.Casting 6 guys in a charter actually prevent half the crew from actually casting on the swing and are actually dragging/drift trolling instead.But,sometimes fish change things up.So give them whatever is working on a given day.